Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

I have a 2002 chevy Silverado 15004.3 when I drive and get

Customer Question

I have a 2002 chevy Silverado 1500*****4.3 when I drive and get to about 50mph it seems like it goes to nutral when I slow down to about 20mph it drives until about 50 mph again.we ran codes and 1870 came up what dose this code mean and where is it located.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

when taking off from a stop is this going into neutral so to say when its supposed to be in 3rd gear or while in 3rd gear ? or 4th gear for sure ?

the P1870 code is a code stating there is internal slippage inside the transmission when the TCC is locked up

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When taking off I can get to about 50mph and then it seems like it goes to nutral dose not make any noise when doing this then I slow down to about 25mph and then I can get to 50mph again .the code dose not have a p in front of it .it just says 1870
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok the 1870 is saying there is something slipping inside the transmission which is what you are feeling when it acts like its going into neutral

the problem is going to be something like the 3-4 clutches inside the transmission or possibly the torque converter causing this issue

either way i am sorry to say this transmission needs to come out and apart to be inspected as to what exaclty is failing causing this but it is 100 % something inside the transmission failing

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out ?