Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I've been reading some of the other reviews and my car seems

Customer Question
to be having the same...
I've been reading some of the other reviews and my car seems to be having the same problem I just filled my car up with gas it started having a hard time starting I drove it about 6 miles stopped another convenience store turned off the car. Started the car back up it had a hard time starting. Then the car acted like the catalytic converter was clogged up would not hardly Idol had no power at all. I just replace the catalytic converter both o2 sensors when I got it home pop the hood the catalytic converter was glowing red like it was clogged up. Took off the new catalytic converter put back on the old catalytic converter that I had rotted out it still runs the same no power no acceleration check engine light is flashing then staying on full time please help
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/12/2015
Chevy Mechanic: cardoctor71, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
cardoctor71
cardoctor71, ASE Certified Technician

Most likely the issue is a clogged or otherwise obstructed charcoal cannister underneath your vehicle, near the fuel tank, its job is to scrub the emissions( fuel vapors) that are being released back into the atmosphere, in the combustion process, the usual culprit is repeatly topping off the fuel when fueling up the tank instead of stopping immediately when the fuel hose at the gas station, first clicks off, at a full tank, another issue that can occur is if the vehicle is driven on dirt roads the dust can clog up the the filter for the charcoal cannister. The second separate issue you are having that is causing the glowing red Catalytic converter, is an overly lean mixture usually from a faulty fuel pump, You need to have the charcoal cannister inspected and have a fuel pressure and volume test run, using a fuel pressure guage, hooked up to the test port on the fuel rail. PLEASE RATE my service a 3 or above, if for some reason you can not, Please ask me another question, I will continue to answer your questions even after rating is given, until you are completely satisfied with my answers.

PLEASE RATE my service a 3 or above, if for some reason you can not, Please ask me another question, I will continue to answer your questions even after rating is given, until you are completely satisfied with my answers.

cardoctor71
cardoctor71
cardoctor71, ASE Certified Technician