Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

My temp gauge reads "zero" and I get an overheat message as

Customer Question

my temp gauge reads "zero" and I get an overheat message as soon as I start my 08 suburban from a total cold condition. I replaced the ECT sensor. That's not it.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I know it's not hot. I've even driven it for 30 minutes. The gauge does not budge- stuck far left. I get this message on the display that the engine is hot, A/C is turned off, and the blower fans stay on. Then, I feel the upper hose and even take off the radiator cap and put my finger in the coolant and it is cool. The engine is not running hot.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
my email address is***@******.***
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.

Have you checked trouble codes in the computer?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a continual cylinder 3 misfire code that I know about and I ignore the light, now. Anyway, what could cause this problem?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I guess it could be the gauge, but that wouldn't produce an error message on my display and turn the fans on, would it? Or, the PCM is bad, or some wiring thing. Right? What do you think?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.

If the thermostat does not regulate temperature correctly, there could be a code set in the PCM. Then the PCM shuts down a/c operation and turns off the temperature gauge. Also could be a wiring issue between the temp sensor and the PCM. Reading codes will help to narrow down the problem area.