Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

1997 GMC.automatic push button 4wd.wont engage.

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

is this a 1500 truck ?

will the switch show a position of 2WD then what happens when you push 4HI ? will the lights blink ? do you hear any action at all from the drivers side of the transfer case encoder shift motor ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a 1500 series GMC pick up it shows An ***** *****ght for 2wd then when you switch it to 4w hi it blinks about 12 times there is a control module I believe that's what you call it under the dash board on the drivers side that I think a clinking noise but that's all I hear
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

can you be sure with the key ON that fuse # ***** and # ***** in the inside fuse box show 12 volts on both sides of both fuses testing then in place through the little openings int the tops of them with the key ON ?

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We checked both fuses no.2 n 4 and they both have power on both sides of the fuses
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

at this point we have a bad module or bad motor on the transfer case

we need to be sure the transfer case can be shifted into 4HI by hand

can you remove the encoder motor of the transfer case and see if you can shift the transfer case by hand with a small wrench on the stem coming out of the case the encoder motor slides on ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If your talking about the module under the dash on the drivers side of the truck it was replaced 11-22-12 along with 4x4 transfer case motor
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

can you see if you can shift the transfer case by hand into 4HI