sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 17 years dealership experience
9825021

05 chev Colorado Z71. I've had a persistent power steering

Customer Question

05 chev Colorado Z71. I've had a persistent power steering fluid leak where the fluid tank connects to the pump. I've replaced both as well as the o-ring a couple times. No change in leak. What gives?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

the issue has to be with the pump, the reservoir, the O ring, or the O ring is being damaged when the two are put together. Since you've had it apart a couple times you should know if the O ring is being damaged so I'm assuming that isn't the case.

What was the initial repair done for?

Where are the parts coming from; what brand are they?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If you tried to reply all that came through was question marks.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
From O'Reiley's auto parts. New pump and tank. New o-ring lunricated witn clean fluid. The original problem was leaking the same place it is now....at the connection between pump and tank. The old o-rings looked good. No cuts or twists.

Do you have the part numbers used?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No but the pump is the same as the original. The newest o-ring came from Chevy dealer and matched both the others in size and thickness. The original o-ring was somewhat flattened but it looked good for 170k miles. I can check with the parts guys and see what numbers were issued to me if u want.

The problem is either with the replacement parts or installation error, if you're positive the O rings are in good condition when you're removing them then the issue has to be with incorrect or inferior parts which is why I was hoping to verify the parts were correct. If they're correct then you're going to need to replace the pump, reservoir or both together again. I highly recommend factory parts, this sort of thing is expected with aftermarket remanufactured power steering pumps. I've seen countless issues with them both in person and here on the site, and wouldn't recommend their use unless it was an emergency.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will do. I'll get back to you

Great!