Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

I 't think you can. I have a 2002 chevrolet z24 cavalier

Customer Question

I don't think you can. I have a 2002 chevrolet z24 cavalier that displays the trac and check engine lights. I have the car at a reputable transmission shop and the codes are torque converter and shift. The transmission fluid has been examined and changed out. Transmission fluid is clear, no evidence of internal damage requiring a rebuild. Solenoids have been changed and trac/engine warning lights still display. Next step is to check harness and transmission computer. So you have any other advice to offer? The guy have is a very capable business ownr and transmission specialist. I am paying this specialist for doing this work so I don't want to pay for suggestions that prove out not to be effective in solving my problem. Respectfully.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

can you tell me exaclty which solenoids where replaced ?

can you tell me the code numbers it is setting ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know their names but according to the specialist all of them (3?) were replaced. he shift solenoid, the pressure solenoid, and the lockup solenoid were replaced. I don't know the code numbers
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

can you find out the code numbers set ?

we need to know the codes set to know which way to go with this issue

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Cannot contact specialist. Shop closed on weekends. Can't provide codes today.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

if the codes being set are TCC stuck ON or stuck OFF or long shift adapts and it has a new pressure control solenoid and a new TCC solenoid and those codes are being rest with new solenoids in place we would need to know what code or codes are being set to know which wiring or control wiring we need to test next

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well this sounds like what he plans in his next areas to look into and that's the harness end to end continuity check, and if OK then look at the Transmission computer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well thank you but it appears that you cannot solve this problem. Good day.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

yes depending on the code the transmission connector would be unplugged and with a scan tool testing the on and off ground controls from the computer to the transmission connector is done next and be sure the ground is good and the power to the connector

if there is a missing power or ground we go after that if there is a control wire when commanded on and off that is not triggering and on and off signal when commanded with the scan tool then that command wire or terminal at the connector OR the computer connector will be tested next and if the wire tests good and the terminal tension and terminal itself tests good then the computer would be replaced

if all the command wires and power and ground test good then the issue is the internal wiring harness inside the transmission bad which would be tested

if by chance that tests good then the issue is defective solenoids OR the valve body valves the solenoid controls are binding or sticking and debris in the channel plate behind the valve body would be checked next and basically will turn out to be a bad valve body or channel plate OR possibly a little bit deeper like a torque converter issue

BUT the next step is the problem cut in 1/2 :

is the problem a control problem = wiring or terminals or computer

is the issue inside the transmission = internal wiring harness , valve body ect...

that is how this problem is solved correctly