Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

Ac in my 2004 is dual control. Randomly starts blowing heat

Customer Question

Ac in my 2004 is dual control. Randomly starts blowing heat on drivers side when ac is called for. All other zones continue blowing cold air. Seemed to occur after battery was replaced by dealer. Dealer has since replaced a control($450) But the problem continues. Dealer now recommends compressor replacement ($1,650). Another shop recommended compressor replacement also. Replaced at cost of $850. Would try to repair my self if I was sure what to replace. On line research suggests the blend door actuator but which one?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

The problem is due to a worn drivers side temperature actuator. The worn actuator can travel beyond its normal limits. When this occurs, the system goes into a default mode (full heat). Replacing the drivers side temperature actuator will fix your problem. Copy and paste link below for video documenting location and replacement procedure for the actuator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Suo7gNvLTM

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have watched the video that you referred me to previously. It seems to show the replacement of the passenger side actuator not the drivers side. What is the part number of the drivers side actuator and what is the routine to ensure that it is properly calibrated when installed? How long should it take to install?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

The drivers side actuator is the one under the dash as shown in the video. It is located under the center of the dash and is most easily accessed by removing the panel under the passenger side of the dash which extends under the center of the dash. Part number is ***** Delco 15-72971. After installation of the actuator, either remove the HVAC fuse or disconnect battery for 30 seconds. Reconnect then start engine, do not touch any a/c controls for one full minute while the system automatically recalibrates.