BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

I have a 2008 uplander ls 3.9 motor. over the past few

Customer Question

I have a 2008 uplander ls 3.9 motor. over the past few months it periodically won't start. I could jump it and it would start. I had the battery and charging system checked out and everything is ok. today came out of a store and it wouldn't start, jumped it and nothing happened, Lights are strong, don't know what's wrong
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. The two most common issues on this vehicle is either the ignition switch or a battery cable issue. It can even be a starter. Most of the time it is the ignition switch though. Did you plan on fixing this yourself?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I can
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are the switches available aftermarket?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know the cables are tight on the battery, could be a problem lower down.
How can I tell if it's the starter?
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

They are available aftermarket. The only way to test all of this for sure is with a voltage meter. If you have one I can run you through some tests.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bobby, The van is at the shopping center parking lot. I can't do anything until the morning.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a multi meter
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

That would be the only way to test it and know for sure. If you cannot do this then the best thing to do would be to have the battery load tested first. A load test would determine if the battery has a short. If it is fine then I would start with the ignition switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok cool, I check on that in the morning.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good. Let me know if you need more help. Have a great rest of your night.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, thanks
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well we have a problem, although BobbySS had some good ideas, they were not the problem. I had to have the Uplander towed to a garage and the tow truck driver notice that the shift cable had come loose and was not allowing the lever to go all the way into park or neutral. I had to have the cable replaced and with towing the bill came to over $200.00. Therefore, the $25.00 I paid to just answer was no help. With all that said, I would like for just answer to refund the $25.00 I paid, that was not helpful. Thanks, ***** *****