Joe
Joe, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine inboards and electronics, automotive drivability, all around repair tech,
20508815

My chevy 03 express van's (6.0) security system shuts my van

Customer Question

My chevy 03 express van's (6.0) security system shuts my van off as I'm driving or it might not start...I noticed the gas gauge goes up and down,low fuel light comes too. This happened a year and a half ago and I went thru steps of resetting and it was fine til now...I want to disable the system--get rid of it...can you help?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

Is this the factory or an aftermarket system?

If factory it is not removable.

If factory, does this happen with multiple keys or just one specific key?

Thanks,

Joe

Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

You could attempt to relearn again however unless you used a different key when this happened this is not something that should normally occur without another problem causing it such as a problem with the security system and would need to be professionally diagnosed via a professional diagnostic scan tool.

Thank you!
- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not a key with auto lock /unlock etc Its a plain key...and its the only one i use how do I know of its an aftermarket or factory installed? It's not factory installed Iam quite sure. HOW DO I DISARM IT? I don't want to take it to a dealer just disarm it. When you say relearn again do u mean when I turn it off and on 3 timesafter the security light goes out? Or what do u mean by relearn/
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Security light on the dash is a factory security system and you cannot remove/disable it. When I say relearn I am simply referring to what you stated about the last time you "relearned" the system such as the 30 min relearn procedure.

Now two things that should not happen during a security system problem are the fuel gauge and low fuel light as they are not related, that seems to suggest an power issue and I would start by having your vehicles battery professionally load tested to be sure it is not the problem as it can still be good enough to start the engine but cause electrical problems. So start by having the battery tested before anything else and check the battery cable connections.

Thanks,

Joe