Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

I have a 2000 Chevrolet Express 2500. Driving to work last

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Chevrolet Express 2500. Driving to work last week it just died and would not restart. Changed the fuel pump and started right up drove about 150 miles and the vehicle died again and will not start. Changed fuel pump again still will not start. Checked relay and it is good. Any ideas where to look next?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry for the long wait

any access to a fuel pressure gauge and test light or a multi meter ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a multi Meter
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

at the fuel pump connector at the top of the tank if you unplug the 4 wire connector and with meter set to DC volts red meter lead into the grey wire terminal in the connector and the black meter lead into the black wire terminal when cranking it over what does it read for volts ?

or pull out the fuel pump relay out of the under hood fuse box and with the key OFF does one terminal in the box the relay plugged into show 12 volts and then when you are cranking it over will another one show 12 volts when cranking it over ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It fulminates it will jump from 1.2 to 6.0
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Fluctuates (Sorry) auto correct
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

testing at the fuel pump connector at the fuel tank ?

if so plug it back in and pull the relay and test for the things i said

pull out the fuel pump relay out of the under hood fuse box and with the key OFF does one terminal in the box the relay plugged into show 12 volts and then when you are cranking it over will another one show 12 volts when cranking it over ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No they don't show anything
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

the terminals in the under hood fuse box that relay plugs into in the box none show 12 volts ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
None on the fuel pump relay.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

does the fuse called ECMB show 12 volts at it ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Have not checked that yet.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

its just odd you show some kind of volts at the fuel tank but nothing at the terminals the relay plugs into

check that fuse for volts

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just checked the fuse block in the engine compartment ECMB the fuse is good but when you shine flashlight in there it is burnt (melted) on one side.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

ok that might be our problem

if one end is melted there was a bad connection from the terminal to the fuse and bad connections cause high resistance which causes heat and the melting

if you pull that fuse out and jump the 2 terminals in the fuse box with a good piece of wire and plug everything back in but leave the wire in place will the van run ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No you can not jump them across and get it to run.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

if you jump it and then with it jumped do any of the terminals show 12 volts where the relay plugs in ?