Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

I'm pay I have a camaro with 350 in it I was going down the

Customer Question

hi I'm pay I have a camaro with 350 in it I was going down the highway and smoke started coming out and carb started shooting flames then she died oil coming out of the valve cover filters and won't start now I think she was to far avanced HELP
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry for the long wait

can you take a compression test and see what the compression is on the cylinders ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can not at the moment
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

if there was flames coming out of the carb the odds are something happened to the timing chain or possibly a piston or head gasket

you need to take a compression test and see what all 8 cylinders read for compression

if all the cylinders are well below 100 psi there is a timing chain or possibly lower distributor gear failure

if just one or a few cylinders show low then there is something specific to those low cylinders of piston failure or a head gasket issue which the valve covers need to come off to be sure no pushrod's broke also

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
when it started smoking I didn't hear anything and odd it just started smoking and carb started shooting flames I was pushing it a little bit I was thinking it might be the timing because it would sputter when I shut it of earlier in the day so I was thinking it was getting to far advanced when I got on it
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

just confirm the compression is good in all 8 cylinders and that the spark plugs all look good and the same visually

if the compression is good and the spark plugs look good then the odds are there is a timing or distributor failure causing this issue

Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

how are you making out ?

Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

did you have any more questions ?