Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Nova 1995 Chevy van, G-20 series, V-6, automatic

Customer Question

Dave Nova
1995 Chevy van, G-20 series, V-6, automatic transmission
gear shift lever stuck in Park.
Per your suggestion, I located the Park interlock solenoid. I am unsure whether disconnecting the green (with white) wire and black wires from the solenoid is "the same thing" as "remove the small cable from the gauge cluster and clip with a flat blade screwdriver".
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The "O'Reilly Auto Parts" counterman advised me that they do not have the "Park interlock solenoid" in stock and that it may be a dealer item. Unless I remove the solenoid and bring it to the counterman so he can see if there are corresponding inventory numbers, I may be out of luck. If your suggestion that "pop the linkage loose from the solenoid to get the van running again" works, how long can I drive with this linkage disconnected? I may not be able to get to an auto parts store until Sunday or Monday (my days off work).
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry for the long wait

you can drive it for as long as you like with the solenoid linkage disconnected just remember the van will shift out of park WITHOUT stepping on the brake pedal

you should be able to pop it off and it will shift out of park for you WITHOUT stepping on the brake pedal

you should be able to unplug that solenoid and remove it from your column to show them it

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out ?