Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

1995 Chevy van, G-20 series, V-6, automatic The gear shift

Customer Question

1995 Chevy van, G-20 series, V-6, automatic
The gear shift lever on the steering column is stuck in Park (whether the engine is running or whether the engine is off).
I dropped the steering column to look at the shift mechanics. I noticed that the ball in the slightly arced groove does not "want" to move into the "arced travel".
I am stymied.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.

The shift lever is locked by a solenoid. Key must be ON and brake pedal depressed. Do you hear a click from the solenoid at the column when the brake pedal is depressed?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not hear a click, but the engine turns on every time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I drove to a WalMart. When I returned to my van, the problem existed. I am at a public library using their computer terminal.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is it common for this "Park lock solenoid" to go bad? Where is it located? Do you have suggestions for removing and replacing this solenoid?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.

If you look at shift mechanism on the column up under the dash, find the lock solenoid. It has two wires going to it. One is Green with white stripe, one is Black. If you have no electrical test equipment, you can at least get the van moving by popping the linkage loose from this solenoid.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am going to replace that solenoid. There is an auto parts store nearby. I will advise you what happens. Thank you for your advice. I am going to get the van running again (because I will be fired if I miss work again tomorrow). Thank you.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** know if I can help further.