Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

I just got a 2012 equinox and now when I press the hatch

Customer Question

I just got a 2012 equinox and now when I press the hatch button on key it will not open.. and when I open from the back it almost feels like somthing is holding it from opening. The button on hatch will not close it either
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.I need a little more info to assist better.

When you try and open with the remote do you hear any noises in the rear hatch area at all?

Let me know so we can continue.Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't hear anything
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.

Does it feel like it's grabbing or catching as if the latch isn't releasing when you try and open it from the rear?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Grabbing
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.

This sounds to be your tailgate/lift gate latch that isn't releasing properly.This is an electronic/mechanical latch and if it isn't releasing properly this can send a signal that the latch is latched even when it isn't fully latched and can cause a fault with the remote opening or closing the rear door.This The mechanical part of it sounds like it isn't releasing as well causing it to grab when trying to open it.

Since I am unable to see and check your vehicle myself this would be best checked/tested to be sure before having it replaced to be sure this is the cause here.

Thanks Pete