Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

I have an 05 escalade and thwe ac will blow warm after

Customer Question

I have an 05 escalade and thwe ac will blow warm after driving 30 minnutes but when you turn the key off and back on the ac blows cold again
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

is this a duel heater AC controller in this truck ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
body code cj2
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

and both sides get hot ?

when this happens and they are hot if you open the hood with the truck still ON is the AC compressor engaged ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
both sides hot and compressor disengaged when open the hood. i checked the ect on the scanner and it is showing the temp at -40. but the compressor kicked back on after 3 minutes and the ect was still showing -40
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

are there any PCM or BCM codes set ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
only code was a b0418 so i replaced control head and have test driven it several times and no codes come back
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

your saying the ECT ( engine coolant temp ) is reading -40 degrees all the time ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it is only showing -40 while in hvac data but if i go to engine data it shows the right temp
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

which temp is that saying -40 the ambient outside temp ? the driver or passenger inside temp ?

I am just trying to see if our issue is the compressor being turned off or the temp actuators are doing this

was the new control head programmed to the trucks VIN number ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I haven't programed the control head and it is the coolant temp sense in hvac data that shows -40
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

first have the control head programmed

if it still does this see if you can control the drivers temp actuator to full hot and cold and see if it will get cold on the drivers side

or see if you can remove the actuator and physically move the door by hand and get cold air

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok in the process of reprogramming
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

ok then see what it does

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
programmed then test drove still doing the same thing ect is 197. while driving the vehicle i did see a surge in all sensors corresponding to the ac
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

when this happens can you command on the ac compressor with the scan tool and will it get cold if you do that ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
haven't tried but will do that and let you know if it works
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

ok if commanding it on still will not work remove the drivers temp actuator and see if you can turn the door by hand and get cold

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
by what you're saying you think that the driver temp door could be shorting causing compressor to turn off?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
when i just test drove it the ac kicked off for about 15 seconds then kicked on again
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

we need to see if it is one or both of the temp actuators causing it to not be cold or the compressor is being shut off for some reason

also make sure the refrigerant is full in the AC system just to be sure

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
freon is full charged before test drive and are no leaks in system
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

see if you can turn the drivers side temp door by hand to get cold

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can command the driver door cold and it blows cold but if i leave the command on then the voltage cuts out on the doors