Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Technician
Experience:  25 years automotive experience, Certified Subaru Tech and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

I have a 2001 blazer that will not start. I replaced the

Customer Question

I have a 2001 blazer that will not start. I replaced the pressure regulator spider injection, spark plugs, wires, fixed bare wires on crankshaft position sensor, and sometimes I get 0 fuel pressure and sometimes perfect pressure but either way still no start. Looking into programing
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuel pump kicks on every time and fuel filter is clear I have checked and both are functioning. May need a new crankshaft position sensor because I've gotten p335 code before I cleared it. May have shorted out with bare wires. Not sure if no working sensor would keep it from working injectors or spark. I'm pretty sure it has to be a control module issue of some sort.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Is the truck lacking fuel or spark when you try to start it or both?
Do the plugs have any gas on them?

Is the security light going out when you attempt to start it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Seems like both although I can smell gas but plugs had gas on them. When pressure is gone the pump still primes but gauge won't budge. I have pressure now though 55-60 psi at prime but goes down real slow while cranking. Thought about security light but it only blinks when key in off position. In on position it doesn't even come on but for a second when all lights come on, then it's gone till ignition off.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, security is not the problem but clearly the fuel pump is turning off while cranking. Do you have a code reader by chance?
I know you said you were getting the crank sensor code, this could stop injection and spark together. This and the cam sensor are used to fire injection and spark so it might be a good place to start. If you can get a code reader though, there should be a code stored for either or both if they are the issue.

Please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When it died on me it would start for a few seconds then shut down. Start right back up every time but only a few seconds. Touch the gas it dies. Now it won't start at all but that was the reason I thought pressure regulator and replaced it because intake manifold had evidence of leaking
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Can you pull a plug wire and check for spark for me? Just set it next to something metal and see if there is any spark jumping from the end of the wire.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a code reader rented from auto zone
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, are you getting any codes at this time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can but it will take a minute everything is put up and my 18month daughter just got home so I'm watching her. Let me make her some food and put her in front of TV and I'll get back to you
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

No problem, I plan on being online all day so let me know when you can.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok confirmed, no spark, no fuel, good pressure at prime, and a p0335 code
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I would start with the crank sensor in this case. If it's not sending any signal then the truck isn't going to want to start. The fuel pump will shut down if it doesn't see any signal from the crank sensor. This for example if you were in a collision and the engine stalled, they don't want the fuel pump to keep on pumping fuel out onto the ground. I would go ahead with the crank sensor to be honest. If you have the code the computer isn't seeing the signal.

Please let me know if there is any more I can do to help you from here.

What happens next:
Just Answer will now charge you for the full amount of your question.
My goal is to provide you with 5-star service. If you cannot rate me at least 3-5 stars, we will keep working on this.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and effort; you do with a 3-5 star rating.
Follow up questions are included in your question price even after rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will let you know when I get back and install. Gimme an hour or two
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good :) I should still be here!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I forgot to mention that I cut the wires that were bare on the cps connecter so I could repair it. so I hope I got the right order. Waiting for battery to charge now. Before I checked those wires it was backfiring when I cranked it over. Then after I repaired them it stopped backfiring.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

are you saying that you may have the wires crossed? Is there any pigtail or connector left so I could give you the wire colors or did this happen right where it goes into the sensor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right at the connector going into the sensor what I did was took apart the connector and put new wires in and put it back together. I am owner of a home based electronics repair company so that's kinda my thing. Although I thought I could remember which wire went on each side but didn't remember if it was upside down or right side up lol. I'm a genius when it comes to computers believe it not.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

No problem, the connector should have A,B and C on it.

A=light green

B=purple

C=yellow.

If you don't have these let me know and I will try to come up with a connector view.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh good that's how I have it. Battery at 25% now. Charger is slow as molasses.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Is ok man, takes as long as it take, other then dinner don't have any plans today but to work online. Here's the thing though, if you still have this code after the repair, you are probably looking at a bad sensor all together and may have to replace it anyhow.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a new sensor I bought it at 11:00 today. I have class at 5:00 tonight but I have a ride in case there is more to this problem than what's is apparent.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

I got you now, ok this is good then. It should start in this case.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything I need to do for the relearn process other than clear the fault codes before starting it?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Nope, not on one of this year. You should be able to clear the codes and crank it up. If it doesn't start then check and see if the 335 code came back, if it did, then the wiring to the computer has to be checked out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I gotta ask, is there much to be made off of this gig? I mean do you get many people to help per day? Is there more than this site to work on? I'm always looking for more business and there just isn't that much locally I'm thinking about doing something like this as well. I have a website built myself ( www.chirpalicious.solutions ) and includes an online discussion forum for consults but it is free and still haven't had anyone post any questions. But I'm not much for marketing. Does it cost you anything to answer people online?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

It costs lots of time to do this, it pays ok. They have a computer section that you can apply to if that's your thing..
All of the experts on here are verified by a 3rd party to make sure our credentials are true and not just someone feeding them a line :)

Go to the actual homepage at www.justanswer.com and there should be a link to apply.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right on thanks.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well still isn't starting. No codes are coming up. The fuel pressure is working during cranking now. It seems to be trying to start but it's also now making this horrible grinding sound from the starter like when a saw blade hits something and stops. Then it continues to crank over till it makes that sound again. I know that sound because I've already replaced the flywheel in this just a month or two ago. Half of one side was grind down almost completely. Now it's trying to do it again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This truck is beginning to be on my sh*t list and it's a shame because I have spent a lot of time and money trying to keep her alive but she shows no appreciation.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I get that for sure. Hold it to the floor while cranking in 30 second intervals. It might be flooded and this should clean it out so it will start. Also, if that doesn't work, try some carb cleaner into the throttle and see if it will fire off of that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried pumping the gas and flooring it. It grinds every two - three seconds real bad as soon as I touch the pedal. I do have carb cleaner and will try that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The grinding kills the battery super fast
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, this is because there are shims missing from the starter from the sounds of it. I am not sure how you would properly shim it up though to be honest.

If it does the same thing with the starting fluid. Repeat checking for spark. If there is spark, then I am going to say to pull the spark plugs and let it air out overnight. It might just be to flooded and this should clear it up for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Inside the intake manifold I've got the injectors in the correct places standing on drivers side 2 4 6
1 3 5
It says firing order is 165432
Dcap has 6 4 2 on pass side and 5 1 3 on driv side
I have the plug wires going from dcap to the matching number on inside of manifold for each plug nearest that number injector port. Does that sound correct as far as firing order goes? Wanna be sure it's matching up right.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Sending a diagram of the cylinder ID and the firing order on the cap.