Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I have owned a 2008 corvette convertible since May of 2014.

Customer Question
Just recently there has been...
I have owned a 2008 corvette convertible since May of 2014. Just recently there has been a strong smell of gas fumes in my garage after driving the car. This has happened with the gas tank full and 1/2 full. The smell now is in the cockpit and trunk area. I have not parked my car in the garage for about a month now for fear of an explosion and fire.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
9/9/2015
Chevy Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.

If they did check the pump seal for leaks as well as a vacuum test on the evap fuel vapor system and no leaks were found one of the most common leaks I have found is leaking fuel pressure line at the fuel pump.It may not leak to where it is seen to drip but will leak around the seal in the line that connects to the fuel pump and cause this here.In order to check to see if this is the cause as well as any other fuel line connections they need to run their fingers over the line where it connects to the pump and where any intermediate connections are located including at the fuel rail on the engine.This needs done after the vehicle has ran for a period of time (10 to 15 minutes).If any fuel is found on their fingers when they do this the affected seal or fuel line needs replaced to correct this here.

I find this is one of the hardest leaks to find and just this small of a leak will cause the smell you have.I suspect with all that has already been checked over and found o.k. this will be the case here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Thanks Pete.

Thank you for your response! I will take the car back on Monday 9-14-2015 and show them what you have suggested. Hopefully that will put an end this this explosive situation....Wayne W.

Your welcome.Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help if you like.

Thanks Pete

Pete, thanks for your input. I take the car in on the 21st. I am wondering if a catalytic converter would give off the gas fume odor. What do you thing?Wayne

If the catalytic converter is partially restricted it is due to to much fuel in it and can give off this odor as well.I would have this checked as these can restrict over time and cause an issue like this here.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician