Derek Werner
Derek Werner, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1 Advanced level specialist
61695331

I have a 2009 Chevy Malibu LS - 69k Miles - Went to start

Customer Question

Hello/// I have a 2009 Chevy Malibu LS - 69k Miles - Went to start car after several days of not using. No crank/no start. Noticed Blue Foam (acid) on battery. Bought brand new die hard from Sears (charged), cleaned terminals and replaced. Still no crank/start - can hear Fuel Pump Clicking in trunk. Gages still show low fuel even though there is fuel and still added 5 more gallons. Husband ran test light on all fuses and all ok solenoid and starter also showing charge. Any suggestions? Would greatly appreciate help.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Derek Werner replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome!!

My name is ***** ***** will be asking you a series of questions to give you the best possible answer. I am a GM factory trained technician, ASE master certified.

Is there a security light blinking on the dash when starting the vehicle.

If not the next step will be to test for power to the starter solenoid, and starter.

#1 Using your test lamp, place the clamp on the negative battery cable. Test for voltage on the large battery cable at the starter, test light should turn on. If ok, power to the starter solenoid enable wire will need to be checked next.

#2 There is 2 cables going to the starter, small wire is from the starter relay circuit.

Large cable is main power feed from the battery to the starter.

Test for power to the small cable, have a assistant hold the key in the start position. The test light should turn on with the key in the start position.

If power is good on both wires the starter will need to be replaced.

The starter is located on the front of the engine under the exhaust manifold.

Shields will need to be removed from the starter cables to test for power