Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Just put new head gasket on my 97 Tahoe. Is hard to keep

Customer Question

Just put new head gasket on my 97 Tahoe. Is hard to keep running , runs rough, exhaust manifold isn't getting hot like the passenger side. Can't figure out
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

at idle if you remove one plug wire off the cap one at a time will any you unplug NOT make a difference in the idle ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Won't idle keeps dying
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

both head gaskets where changed ?

is the check engine light on ? are there any codes set in the computer at all ?

are you sure there are NO vacuum leaks at all ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just drivers side. Yes check engine light was on. Pretty sure all lines are hooked up. What about valves could they need adjusted. Rocker arms I tightened them to the rocker arm had no play.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

yes the odds are the rockers on that head are too tight

do you know how to adjust the valves correctly ?

you need to bump over the engine and do one cylinder at a time with the valve cover off bump the engine over until the first 2 push rods are down where the cam is NOT pushing up on the rocker then loosen the rocker nut until the push rod can be spun by hand then tighten down slow until either the push rod can not be spun easy or there is NOT push rod up and down play felt once you do that then tighten the rocker nut down 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn then go on to the next cylinder

the odds are just the valves are out of adjustment or too tight so to say adjusting the valves should correct this issue you are having

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Adjust rockers but when I pull off spark plug wires nothing happens and exhaust manifold stays cool. Still won't run right
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

so that whole bank of cylinders is dead ?

can you do a compression test on those 4 cylinders on that bank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did compression test, no compression in that side at all
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok then either the valves are not adjusted correctly or the valves are not closing

can you loosen up those rockers so there is just no play in the push rods and will that whole bank still have 0 compression ?

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

are you sure those valves are adjusted correctly ?