Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I was driving my 1998 chevy tracker and it shut down on me.

Customer Question
i pulled over and started...
i was driving my 1998 chevy tracker and it shut down on me. i pulled over and started it up again and kept driving for about 30 seconds and it shut down again, pulled over and started it but this time it took a few cranks for it to start. ended up shutting down again. when i went to start it up it would start right away and after cranking for 15 seconds it fired up but didn't stay running long at all. now it would fire up at all. check fuel pump and its working. injector housing is filling with gas. thought it was the crank sensor so replaced that. but still won't fire up. f i sprayed ether into the throttle body and i would fire up for a second or two. but did it a couple times and now it won't fire up at all.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
9/6/2015
Chevy Mechanic: BOBBYSS, Master Technician replied 2 years ago
BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician

Hello, my name is***** for the question. Most of the time this is caused by a valve timing issue. Do you happen to have a compression tester to make sure that the engine is ok internally?

i do, but car isn't at my home. had to leave it in a parking lot where is lasted started. was gonna give it a go tomorrow. only has 72000 original miles on it

I would start with a compression test to see if the valve timing is off. If that is fine try checking for spark so we can determine if there is an ignition issue.

i will have to do all that tomorrow when i tow the tracker to my house. all i had to use today was a penny, pocket knife, and a $9 socket set. this is my first time using the site. so can i get back to you tomorrow with more updates?
the tracker only has 72000 original miles on it and distributor cap and rotor was done in may of 2014 when it had 71000 miles

You can continue to come back here as long as you need to, even after rating. Let me know when you can get back to it. Hopefully with that few miles it won't be anything serious.

Have compression. Don't think I have a spark. Doing it by myself so hard to tell 100%. When I crank it up the rpm tack jumps.

Is there currently any response from the engine if you try starting it with starting fluid?

Not at all. I'm going to replace the ignition module

That would be the best place to start. If it continues let me know and we can go through some voltage meter tests to find the problem.

Put the new distributor in started cranking but didn't fire up. I sprayed starter fluid in the throttle and it made a poor noise but didn't turn over for at least a second or two. Not sure if the wires are correct on the cap or if the whole timing is off

The timing should not be off all of a sudden unless you didn't mark the distributor. How was it installed?

Made mark on housing. Just throwing this out, I have worked on cars for many years. I know how to install things properly. I'm just stumped on why I have no spark at all and everything you saying I have already done. I know it's kind of hard to explain thru messaging sometimes but you haven't gave me any thing to go with that I have already done before i signed up to this.

Let's check it electrically. Do you have a voltage meter?

Sure do

Thanks. We need to see if the black/white wire at the distributor has battery voltage with the key on. if not then check the coil fuse. If it has power then you need to check for ground pulse on the brown/white wire when cranking the engine. It is possible that the noise suppressor for the coil is faulty. It is located just below the wiper motor.

BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician