Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

I have a 2005 Chevrolet suburban. LT 4WD VIN Z flex. V8

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Chevrolet suburban. LT 4WD VIN Z flex. V8 5.3L. No prior problems. Just recently I've been having a small electrical problem. Whenever I depress the brake pedal while signaling right, the circuit appears to short out. Left turn signal works normally with or without breaking. Right signal works normally without breaking. Breaking works normally without signaling and all other lights both interior and exterior work normally. I have checked all fuses bulbs and wiring. Have only checked grounding locations at the battery, engine compartment and 1 ground located underneath the rear bumper on the driver's side. I have inspected but not tested the signal lamp circuit board underneath the rear quarter panel on the passenger side. This is the party with 4 modular plugs. Could this be my problem or does it sound like the multi switch located inside my steering column? This problem is evident by viewing both the internal dashboard indicators and the exterior bulbs.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 2 years ago.

Yes, it is the signal lamp circuit board underneath the rear quarter panel on the passenger side. Extremely common for them to short across inside. It's usually a ground connection in the board if you can see it you might be able to repair it. We have replaced MANY of these with the exact same symptoms!

LJ