GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

My truck is completely dead no power at all the battery

Customer Question

my truck is completely dead no power at all the battery shows 12.18 volts turn the key no click no start no lights on gauges no fuses are bad
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

are you 100 % sure both battery cables are clean and tight at the battery ?

even removing both cables and sanding them down with sandpaper or a scotch pad then reconnecting both cables clean and tight it still is dead ?

does the horn work ?

do you have a multi meter on hand ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cleaned battery cables horn does not work and I do have a multimeter that's how I got the 12.18 volts on the battery
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
None of the fuses under the hood or in the cab are blown and it was running 5 minutes before
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

is the big power wire bolted to the under hood fuse box showing 12 volts at it ?

can you check and make sure the negative ground cable passenger side lower front of the block is clean and tight ?

with no horn working we are not getting power from the battery to the under hood fuse box or the battery ground is not good at the battery or the engine block G105

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got a new box at a junkyard and noticed that one of the power cables on the gas tank sending unit was not connected so I connected it and we put the new box on the truck drove it home, then I moved the box back 2 feet to make sure the connector was fully seated in the plus as on the way home the gas gauge needle was reading empty then the truck had no power
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

test what i said to test

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I test it at the under good fuse panel
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

i said how to in my last post

let me re send what i said to do

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll test it give me a minute
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With the key off its not reading anything
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok if that big power stud / connection that the big power wire from the battery comes from shows NO volts then either the negative battery cable is not clean and tight at the engine or the battery or the positive battery cable is bad between the battery and the under hood fuse box or bad connections at the battery since the battery tests good for volts and amps and for any bad cells

there is nothing else to cause that main power wire at the under hood fuse box to show no volts

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I re cleaned all the battery cables and retested the fuse panel the only big wire coming from the battery is going to the bottome left of the fuse box and that's showing zero and the ground on the engine is clean and tight
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

at this point then the big wire from the battery to the under hood fuse box is bad

nothing else will stop power from getting from the battery to that under hood fuse box

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a brown thing wire with a white plug sitting beside the fuze box but it's not connected to anything and there is nowhere to plug it in at
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'll have to try and switch that wire out then
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

or try a big wire temp from the positive battery to the under hood fuse box and see if you get power power back

if you do that cable is bad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this the wire your talking about
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

the big one off the under hood fuse box follow it to the battery

it comes off the positive battery cable and runs to the under hood fuse box

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

if that is the one that runs from the battery to the under hood fuse box then yes that is the wire

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'm going to try one off my 94 Chevy 1500
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nvm it doesn't have one should I be able to get a replacement at a cadian tire as I'm in canada
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

most local autoparts stores sell them or can get you one

but i would test yours and start at the battery and see where along that cable it is bad

it could even have a bad connection where it fuses into the battery terminal end area

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Canadian tire
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a way to test the wire itself with a multimeter
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

yes start at where it meets the battery and keep going down a few inches and make a small pierce into it to be sure to get to the inside of the wire and check for volts

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tested the whole wire with a probe light with the aligator clip on the neg on the battery and it lights up the whole way along the wire
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

but it does not light up at the under hood fuse box where it connects to it

there has to be a bad connection where its bolted to the under hood fuse box or something like that at the under hood fuse box since you said it showed 0 volts there

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm going to retest
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now it's showing 8 volts to the fuse box
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I put the ground probe of the multimeter on the steel part of the master cyclinder
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

and the horn does not work ?

if not can you have the battery tested for amps and volts and for any bad cells

this battery may have volts but might have low or no amps or a bad cell it it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now the horn works but the truck will crank but not start
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The wire is now reading 12 volts
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do u know if the fuel sending unit from a 94 Chevy 1500 will fit in a 98
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

Strange. No starting I expected. But the horn is odd. I wonder if there is an issue in the dash then? No sending units no where close to similar.

Sorry, I am not sure how that reply got in there, the one about the horn. We are always working to improve the site and sometimes there are glitches. The reply about the sending unit is valid, as is my proposal to talk on the phone.