Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

My truck is completely dead no power at all the battery

Customer Question
shows 12.18 volts turn the...
my truck is completely dead no power at all the battery shows 12.18 volts turn the key no click no start no lights on gauges no fuses are bad
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
8/30/2015
Chevy Mechanic: Gary, Chevy Technician replied 2 years ago
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician

I am sorry your having this problem

are you 100 % sure both battery cables are clean and tight at the battery ?

even removing both cables and sanding them down with sandpaper or a scotch pad then reconnecting both cables clean and tight it still is dead ?

does the horn work ?

do you have a multi meter on hand ?

I cleaned battery cables horn does not work and I do have a multimeter that's how I got the 12.18 volts on the battery
None of the fuses under the hood or in the cab are blown and it was running 5 minutes before

is the big power wire bolted to the under hood fuse box showing 12 volts at it ?

can you check and make sure the negative ground cable passenger side lower front of the block is clean and tight ?

with no horn working we are not getting power from the battery to the under hood fuse box or the battery ground is not good at the battery or the engine block G105

I got a new box at a junkyard and noticed that one of the power cables on the gas tank sending unit was not connected so I connected it and we put the new box on the truck drove it home, then I moved the box back 2 feet to make sure the connector was fully seated in the plus as on the way home the gas gauge needle was reading empty then the truck had no power

test what i said to test

How do I test it at the under good fuse panel

i said how to in my last post

let me re send what i said to do

I'll test it give me a minute

ok

With the key off its not reading anything

ok if that big power stud / connection that the big power wire from the battery comes from shows NO volts then either the negative battery cable is not clean and tight at the engine or the battery or the positive battery cable is bad between the battery and the under hood fuse box or bad connections at the battery since the battery tests good for volts and amps and for any bad cells

there is nothing else to cause that main power wire at the under hood fuse box to show no volts

I re cleaned all the battery cables and retested the fuse panel the only big wire coming from the battery is going to the bottome left of the fuse box and that's showing zero and the ground on the engine is clean and tight

at this point then the big wire from the battery to the under hood fuse box is bad

nothing else will stop power from getting from the battery to that under hood fuse box

There is a brown thing wire with a white plug sitting beside the fuze box but it's not connected to anything and there is nowhere to plug it in at
Ok I'll have to try and switch that wire out then

or try a big wire temp from the positive battery to the under hood fuse box and see if you get power power back

if you do that cable is bad

the big one off the under hood fuse box follow it to the battery

it comes off the positive battery cable and runs to the under hood fuse box

if that is the one that runs from the battery to the under hood fuse box then yes that is the wire

Ok I'm going to try one off my 94 Chevy 1500

ok

Nvm it doesn't have one should I be able to get a replacement at a cadian tire as I'm in canada

most local autoparts stores sell them or can get you one

but i would test yours and start at the battery and see where along that cable it is bad

it could even have a bad connection where it fuses into the battery terminal end area

Canadian tire

Is there a way to test the wire itself with a multimeter

yes start at where it meets the battery and keep going down a few inches and make a small pierce into it to be sure to get to the inside of the wire and check for volts

I tested the whole wire with a probe light with the aligator clip on the neg on the battery and it lights up the whole way along the wire

but it does not light up at the under hood fuse box where it connects to it

there has to be a bad connection where its bolted to the under hood fuse box or something like that at the under hood fuse box since you said it showed 0 volts there

I'm going to retest

ok

Now it's showing 8 volts to the fuse box
I put the ground probe of the multimeter on the steel part of the master cyclinder

and the horn does not work ?

if not can you have the battery tested for amps and volts and for any bad cells

this battery may have volts but might have low or no amps or a bad cell it it

Now the horn works but the truck will crank but not start
The wire is now reading 12 volts
Do u know if the fuel sending unit from a 94 Chevy 1500 will fit in a 98
Chevy Mechanic: GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician replied 2 years ago
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician

Strange. No starting I expected. But the horn is odd. I wonder if there is an issue in the dash then? No sending units no where close to similar.

Sorry, I am not sure how that reply got in there, the one about the horn. We are always working to improve the site and sometimes there are glitches. The reply about the sending unit is valid, as is my proposal to talk on the phone.

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician