Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

I was working on my 2001 Chevrolet Cavalier dashboard to

Customer Question

I was working on my 2001 Chevrolet Cavalier dashboard to find a rattle. I took the dash apart, including disconnecting the instrument cluster. When I reconnected it, the odometer no longer worked. All other gauges and lights seem to work. What could be the problem?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My Name is***** have over 20 years experience repairing vehicles. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating please let me know.

• Did you have the battery disconnected?
  • Have you tried to drive and see if it comes back?
  • Do you have a scanner?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not have the battery disconnected. I have driven it and it is very faint, but, I can see the numbers now and it appears to be working. So, the light on it must have gone out. It was only partially lit before. Do you think it is worth it to try to fix the light? How would this be accomplished?
I don't have a scanner, but, I just got a scan for a check engine light. This was on before the instrument cluster issue. The code is P0422. I've already replaced the gas cap.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

The cluster needs to be repaired by a cluster repair shop. It is likely that there is a internal bad connection in the cluster causing the intermittent lights.