GM Bob
GM Bob, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 plus years. experience as GM technician, ASE Master Technician and GM Certified.
70078276

Fuel seems to shut down as it starts replaced ignition and

Customer Question

fuel seems to shut down as it starts replaced ignition and housing security light never blinked ten min on 6 seconds off three what else could be wrong?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 2 years ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

please explain,,it starts but shuts off?

how and when did this problem first begin?

does the security light stay on with the key on?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i parked it for a couple hours and when i returned it fires and shuts down it did this three days prior and i thought maybe humidity i returned ten hours later and started right up fine for three days after my nephew has snapon computer diagnostic and said passlock was triggered i replaced the ignition switch and the housing....all the places that tell me how to reset says the security light stops blinking after the first ten min session however the security light has never blinked i believe its just on when you turn the key as all the lights do until it starts the light stays on just as the emgine light seat belt light etc etc
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is there anothr scenario that would cause the fuel to shut down i still have spark?

it sounds as if you need to do a passlock auto relearn

here is what to do

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vjfgxmdfmd8fd97/0825-chevy-2000-CONDITIONS.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/vjfgxmdfmd8fd97/0825-chevy-2000-CONDITIONS.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tim ive done this many times already do you know the proper procedure as i said before the security light is on and not blinking most of all the relearns ive attempted has said the security light should stop blinking after about ten min what do you think?

hi

tell me,,you are saying the security light stays on with the key on,,,right?

are you there?

if the light isnt blinking,,do as i am telling you

if the light is staying on with the key on,,try to start the engine,,the engine will start and die

do not turn the key off,leave it in the run position..after 10 minutes the security light will go off..when the light does off,turn the key off then try to start again..it will do the same thing,,it will start and die,,wait another 10 minutes,,the light will go off again....you need to repeat this three times,,after the third time it will start and run,,this will take about 35 minutes

thanks

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.

are you there?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tim ..yes the light is always on along with all dash lights. Just as normal car start up. I've done the reset numerous times and still same result. What The Heck Is wrong? Sometimes the check engine light stays on during the reset and sometimes it doesn't ?

the security light staying on with the key on isnt normal..it should go off after 5 seconds

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I understand it's not normal but that is what's happening. Has the on board computer taken a dump. ???

no,if the light stays onand doesnt flash,,you need to do a passlock auto relearn procedure that i gave you

,,try to start the engine,,the engine will start and die,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tim. I'm telling you......the light never goes off even as after 25 min on the first round. What else can be the problem

ok.sense the light never gos off,.i would think the passlock sensor.that is part of the ignition switch

i would think you may need to replace the ignition switch/passlock sensor..i know you already replaced the lock cylender

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I already have replaced the ignition switch also still the same result. My vehicle does not have the little screen with led light. It's the simple word security that is like most dummy lites? Every other ten min of relearn the check engine light comes on n stays on?

i thought you replaced the key lock and not the ignition switch???

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I replaced the ignition switch witch is basically a wiring harness with swith built in and the ignition housing. All should b good. I have not replaced the tumbler

ok,,replace it,,we are loosing passlock signal

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'll try it this evening. I didon't believe the key or tumbler was coded. It's seems to b just the tumbler. But I will n I'll let you know

yes,please do

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Battery unplugged for hours fully charged n new tumbler... tried reset twice now. Security light stays on.. .wtf ??

ok,,please stand by,,maybe one of the other guys has a better idea of what is going on,some one will be right with you

thanks

Expert:  GM Bob replied 2 years ago.

Hello my name is***** hope I can help.

Have you had it rechecked for codes? The light is on because of a fault in the system

Let me know what code is setting. There is a bulletin for B2960. They want you to re-solder terminals at the connector at the base of the column.

Thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is it possible the computer is toast?
Expert:  GM Bob replied 2 years ago.

A code would help.

Have you replaced the housing or key cylinder?

When turning the key is it smooth no binding?

The fact it start and stalls tells me fuel is being disabled. That is why I don't think its a computer.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've replaced the tumbler,the ignition switch and the ignition housing
Expert:  GM Bob replied 2 years ago.

Have you checked #21 fuse in the I/P fuse block? Security fuse

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
First I've heard of it. I'll check tonight thanks I'll let you know
Expert:  GM Bob replied 2 years ago.

Keep me posted.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Fuse is fine. Wtf?? What is missing?
Expert:  GM Bob replied 2 years ago.

You said you had a scan tool. Can it show live data from security system?

1. Slowly turn the key to the RUN position but do not start the engine. Be careful not to turn the key into the START position.
  2. Observe the following values:
    • Passlock™ Data Voltage should be 5.0 volts.
    • Passlock™ State should be Normal.
    • Passlock™ Code should be Open.
  3. Rotate the key to the START position, and observe the following again:
    • Passlock™ Data Voltage should be less than 5.0 volts. Passlock™ should remain steady and not fluctuate. The test vehicle used for this diagnostic procedure had a voltage value of 2.49 volts. The vehicle being worked on may be either higher or lower than this value. The key is that it has to be less than 5.0 volts.
    • Passlock™ State should be ”Monitor Passlock™”.
    • Passlock™ Code should be Valid Code.