How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask George H. Your Own Question
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Category: Chevy
Satisfied Customers: 18698
Experience:  GM Tech ASE Master Tech 15+ years
Type Your Chevy Question Here...
George H. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a chevy 4door pickup with a 4.3 4x4 with 3/73 reae

Customer Question

i have a chevy 4door pickup with a 4.3 4x4 with 3/73 reae gears
if i put in a 3.42 or a 2.73 or 4.10 in will eather help with better fuel milage right now i get 15 mpg my rearend is just starting to have a slite wine and all the seals have a little dampness so if i need to rebuild or install another one i want the best mpg for my money
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

The lower numbers will give you better mileage but you reach a point that the engien does not have enough power to move the vehicle and it feels very slow. I would not go more than the 3:42. Unless you have free parts and are doing the work yourself you are not going to get your money back in fuel savings. Any gear change has to be done to both the rear and the front on a 4x4.

If you really want better mileage it would be better to sell the truck and move to a 2x4 with as light a weight as possible.

Please let me know how I can help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Very good
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

I am always glad to help, please let me know if you have further questions

Thank you