Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

When checking a fan clutch, most forums mention that the

Customer Question

When checking a fan clutch, most forums mention that the clutch should have a certain amount of resistance when spun by hand with the motor off, being able to be spun no more that 1 to 1 1/2 turns. My question is does this mean having a hold of the fan blades with the fingers and flipping the fan blades downward and release the seeing how far the fan spins? My 2003 silverado has some resistance when continually turning the fan, and when doing the flip and release spin, it turns less than one turn.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

usually it is more so of resistance you feel with your hand spinning it

get the truck to operating temp then shut off the engine then you should feel some good resistance in turning the fan by hand not full locked but a fair amount of resistance

may i ask what kind of issue you are having ?