GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 2007 Chevy 2500 classic duramax. When I turn right

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Chevy 2500 classic duramax. When I turn right and only right at the same point of a turn I hear a loud pop. It's so predictable I know when it's coming. All ball joints look good. Pitman arm was changed 6 months ago and 1 month ago had new axles and right wheel hub assembly installed. Could the idler arm cause this?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Cam.
Can I get your first name please?
Sorry to hear about this issue. Let's see what we can do.
Yes the idler arm, well more specifically the pivot mount for the idler arm can cause this. It's one that's always hard to grease and this could case the noise. You can take the front skid plate off, 15 mm bolts and find the mount on the inside of the passengers side frame and turn the wheel to see if it makes the noise. The whole assembly I think is around 250$ from GM. It's easy enough to change, 2 bolts through the frame and one nut on the relay rod.