Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I have a 93 chevy Cheyenne. I bought it with ,000 miles. At

Customer Question
I have a 93 chevy...
I have a 93 chevy Cheyenne. I bought it with 69,000 miles. At 90,000 miles, took the 4.3L out and replaced it with a 5.8L. I bored it 40 over and decked. Since I got it back, its had an idling issue. When it's in park, it sputters and cuts off. Also running very rich on fuel. If I come to a stop, it shuts off. And,problem number 2, transmission was hesitating from 2 to third, and now it will not shift out of third gear.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/13/2015
Chevy Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic replied 2 years ago
Tim's Auto Repair

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

when you done the engine swap,did you use the throttle body fuel injetion?

the transmission,does it just not shift,or does it shift like into neutral?

I used the throttle body that came off of the 5.7.... The guy that put it in said that the program in the chip is for a different gear ratio. Don't know how true that is
It feels like it goes into neutral

ok,,for the engine,,remove and clean the egr valve,,it may be dirty and sticking open causing a vacuum leak from the exhaust,,also,remove and clean the iac-idle air control valve.

the 4.3 computer will work with the 5.7

as for the transmission,,you have a bigger problem,,sense it shifts like it gos into neutral when its time to shift to 3rd..

i would think the 3-4 clutch frictions are burnt out,,the transmission will need to be rebuilt or replaced to fix this problem,,sorry

thanks

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.

Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic