Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

No fire on 2.2 ecotec new crank sensor good pump and plugs

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
8/13/2015
Chevy Mechanic: Lou P., ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Sir I had responded to your mother question have you not seen my reply ?
Something happened wouldn't let me see it ... Trying to get my car running and no fire
Ok have you turned the coil upside down and verified no spark ?
Don't know if this means anything I had my a/c fixed it was the line then car hesitated later that night then got it home and it never started again
Ok it could be the coil pack. That is a very common issue. Do you have a meter to test some wiring ?
Not coil pack switched with my sons dad cause he has the same car works fine
Ok that's good for diagnosis. Does the security light flash in the dash when cranking ?
It's on but not flashing
Ok. So do you have a meter ? Did the car just die one day ? How did this problem occur? What else have you done to try and fix ? Please leave nothing out
No I don't a meter. Was driving the car stopped at the light and car cut off. Started it back up drove fine for a couple of hours parked it that night tried to start it the next day wouldn't fire but turned over. Checked fuel pump it's fine getting 55 psi changed crank sensor fuel pump relay started working no fire changed the spark plugs still nothing

Here is what I need you to check. Check fuses labeled "TRANS/INJ/ABS/PCM IGN 1/ and IGN 1" check all of those to make sure of two things for me. 1- make sure no fuses are blown and 2- make sure all fuses have power when the key is turned on. Let me know. Please be detailed. Thanks

He said he's check those and they're fine ... It's no spark at the spark plugs though ... I'm so confused
Ok I need to know more than "they're fine " I need to know if they are blown and also if they have voltage when the key is on this is very important
Sorry yes they do have voltage when you turn the key
Ok. Thank you , Now the pink wire at the ignition control module is the power wire. Make sure it has power when the key is on

And do you have a code reader or a scan tool that can read data ?

How can I do this
No but it was scanned before with no codes

Use a test light , hook one end to ground and then poke the pink wire with ge test light and it will light up. You do have a test light correct ?

Are you doing the work or are you relaying messages ? What's the scoop on your end

mechanic left will be back in an hour can I message you when he gets back

Yes. I will be busy for the next few hours so I will give you a few things to try and report back the findings. No spark comes from a few things. Bad coil or ignition module (you swapped with another car so that rules that out ) a crank sensor (you changed ) a cam sensor (not changed yet ) a theft deterrent issue (security light is not flashing though ) bad power or ground to the ignition module , bad ECM. Those are the possible issues. Oh and also ignition switch. So we check power and ground at the ignition control module first before we proceed.

Ok thanks a bunch will let you know

So at the pink wire on the ignition control module connector you will have 12 volts. Make sure a test light lights up on that wire and stays lit while cranking. If not the ignition switch may be the issue. If so then check the black wire at the ignition control module for ground. Same test as the pink wire but use the positive battery cable to hook the test light to. If you have ground but power fades then the ignition switch is the issue. Let me know what you find.

Will do as soon as he gets here

Ok. Sorry today I can't stay all day I'll check back later. Daddy duty calls. If you do not wish to wait for me there is a link on your end to opt me out. Totally up to you. I don't want you to wait on me but if you do I will help you get this resolved or at least try my best. Lou

Testing now
It doesn't light up when you test ground? But it lights up with pink wire
If he gives it ground will it short out anything
Ok now , when you test the pink wire the other end of the light should be on ground but when you test the black wire the other end should be on positive can you confirm this
it was
Ok , then snip the black wire and then apply ground to the part that goes to the module NOT the other end that goes to the PCM or wherever it goes I would have to look again. And see if it runs. Keep in mind though I always suggest removing the plugs and cleaning them (spark plugs ) since all that cranking with no spark may have flooded the cylinders. Let me know.
If it fired up then what

then that means that the ground circuit is bad, i will double check where the ground comes from.

Ok so could it still be the ignition switch do you have any ideas on the culprit

well run a new ground test wire first and then we will see

Ok waiting for him to come back from the store
Ok. Lol. May I assume you are the significant other ?
Just his sons mom lol
Ok haha. Don't mean to pry , just need to know how I should explain things sometimes. Not that you wouldn't get it but when dealing with a "interpreter " or middle man (or woman) my approach must be different sometimes.
Lol I understand
He's back he's about to check now
Ok standing by

And FYI that ground wire simply goes to a ground. I'm gonna find where it goes so he can at least physically check it and see what's up

Ok the ground is either in the front of the engine below the alternator or the ground stud that bolts the engine and TRANS together near the parking neutral safety switch. Hope this information helps

Killing the battery put my jump box on

Ok. I'm still here for a little bit

Fed power to ground wire and the fuel pump and it started so is it the ignition switch
No. Please clarify. You ran a new ground wire from ground to that black wire and it ran ?
No Ran it to the ground didn't start ran power to fuel pump fired up with the ground still hooked up

Sorry I don't know why I did not receive a notice when you replied. If you ran a new wire from ground to the black wire and the engine now runs then you are finished. Repair complete. That original black wire only went to ground ! I explained the two places the ground would have originated from. Which doesn't matter. As long as you ran a wire and it runs you have accurately fixed it , mission accomplished. No more money or time needs to be spent ! Ok tell me more about what you did to the fuel pump.

Ignore all that I just sent I just seen your last response about the fuel pump.

what could it be

Your not answering any of my questions , I can't accurately assist without knowing what is happening on your end. I will have to opt out. My apologies. I am more than capable of assisting but I need your input. Maybe another expert can give you a definitive answer. there are 10 different things that can stop the car from starting. The fact that you had no ground and now have ground but did not run until the fuel pump was jumped tells me there is way more than meets the eye. My apologies I will have to opt out I wish you luck. Another expert will hopefully join in and assist. Lou

Chevy Mechanic: Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, My Name is***** have over 20 years experience repairing vehicles. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating please let me know.

I have read your back and forth with Lou. I just need to know how you applied power at fuel pump?

I did and it comes on also today I noticed my fan isn't blowing and my gas hand doesn't work or my compressor
From the relay to a 50 amp fuse

am going to attach a VTD learn. Lets just rule out a theft problem as this is what it sounds like to me. Let me know if this helps

Wondering if it could be my ecm he got my car to run by doing what I stated earlier but my fan isn't kicking on like its a power problem
Wasn't that light never cut off or flashed

The theft system disables fuel. I just want to rule out a theft problem

Ok so what if it stays solid and goes off when I turn the key

It should come on solid in a few seconds and start a relearn

It will not do the relearn process cause it doesn't flash at all. Leaning towards ecm or ignition switch. Fuel pump came in without having to add power after I got the crankshaft sensor

So you have it running now?

No it was coming on when I got the crank sensor and when Lou had me check the ignition module it stopped coming on. Basically It had no fire and when it got fire after grounding it the fuel pump wouldn't come on

My suspicion is an electrical problem in the fuse box located under the hood. You would have to remove the box and turn it over and inspect.

I'll have him look as soon as I make it home. If it is a problem with the fuse box what should it look like. Could it be the ECM ( hope not )

Yes it could be ECM and they are kind of common but not for this problem. I am more suspicious of an electrical connection problem

If it's the fuse box (electrical ) problem what can I do to fix it

Depends on what kind of problem. You will likely need t replace it

Ok will let you know

If the fuse box doesnt have any corrosion or broken wires I would need some scan data.

Do you have access to a scanner? Test light? Spark tester?

A spark tester

Have you tested for spark?

The ground wire to ignition module was not grounded so that's why we had no spark at first
This seems to be going in circles. I am going to opt out and hope another expert to see if they can give you some direction
Wow
Tool Hut
Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician