Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

2004 Chevrolet s-10 2.2 i4 stutter at low rpms.

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 2 years ago.

Hi, My Name is***** have over 20 years experience repairing vehicles. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resoloution.I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating please let me know.

So am I to understand that you have a miss at lower rpms? Do you have any test equipment? Test Light, Scanner? Have you checked for codesr?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's not a miss, more of a bog or lack of fuel. There are no codes displayed. I think there is slack in the throttle cable. I checked it and there's a lot of play between idle and acceleration.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 2 years ago.
do you have a fuel pressure gauge? When is the last time you changed the fuel filter?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Changed fuel filter, fuel pump, spark plug, spark plug wires when first started happening. Cleaned air filter too.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 2 years ago.

So do you have a fuel pressure gauge?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 2 years ago.

Do you have a vacuum gauge? Scanner? Any test equipment?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do at my local shop. I will ask them.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 2 years ago.

let me know and I can give you next steps

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What do I do when I do?
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 2 years ago.

Ask them to check fuel pressure, and Vacuum. With the vacuum gauge you are looking for a nice steady needle. over 15inhg at idle and when they snap throttle a quick return to 15 or higher. any delay indicates a restriction in exhaust. Have them check for codes.