GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Looking profesional answer on this, looking to buy a

Customer Question

Hi looking for a profesional answer on this, looking to buy a beautiful RUST FREE 2000 chevy silverado 1500 extended cab black with beige rockers and has 4x4. Its completely rust free and rare since i am in the state of wisconsin. However truck does have 215k on it, it has been well maintained and had oil changes done properly for every miles. Owner replaced all front end parts as well as both side wheel hub assemblies. It has the legendary 5.3 vortec which i know is very reliable. Truck has 3 inch body lift running 33 in tires. Now i was planning on buying truck and putting a nice transmission in it as well as a new posi rear end. Guy is offering to sell it to me for $3800, which seems like a reasonable price. I may be missing a few things but thats the jist of it. What are your thoughts and what do you think could possibly go wrong that i could look out for. Much appreciated thanks!
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My Name is***** have over 20 years experience repairing vehicles. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resoloution. I also do not work in an office at just answer awaiting your reply. I operate a small business and will do my best to answer quickly. Depending on the day and time there may be a delay in getting back to you.Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating please let me know.

First let me say that the mileage is not a huge concern on this truck. When you start saying parts have been replaced I know you have the impression that it can be trouble free fro a while. let me play devils advocate for a moment.

1. Who replaced the parts?

2. Were name brand parts replaced? since it has bigger tires were upgrades done? Brakes? Ball Joints?

3. How long has lift been installed? Who installed it? IS it a chassis lift or a body lift? Are parts available if it fails? Is steering wheel crooked when you drive it? vibrations?

I strongly recommend taking it to a local mechanic and pay for an inspection. a free inspection is only worth what it costs.

The over sized tires and lift typically cause premature failures on brakes and suspension parts. If you are not wanting to do the work yourself then they can get expensive.