Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  building and driving chevy's since i was in the womb!!!! camaro and corvette enthusiest, access to factory diagrams and tsb's
27644750

2004 chevy impala will not start, fuses are good lights come

Customer Question

2004 chevy impala will not start, fuses are good lights come on everything works on the car except the radio, checked the starter it is good the crank relay is clicking car will not start
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also the door chime does not work with the key in
Expert:  Lou P. replied 2 years ago.
when you turn the key on does the security light flash at you ? The radio actually controls the chime noises. FYI
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The security light flashes then it goes to low fuel and service soon
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I take one of the 60 amp fuses out of the fuse box the chime does work
Expert:  Lou P. replied 2 years ago.
Ok the chime thing is weird. First let's focus on the starting.
Turn the key on in the ignition. Set a timer on your phone or whatever for 12 minutes. After the timer is up turn the key off and then try to start it. Let me know if it starts.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tried that yesterday did not work
Expert:  Lou P. replied 2 years ago.
Ok will you at least try for me again?
If not I will have to opt out and see if another expert can help.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 2 years ago.
Some times in rare cases we have to do this three times in a row before the theft system will relearn
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will had to stop for the day will try tomorrow thanks
Expert:  Lou P. replied 2 years ago.
Ok. If doing it once does not work , then you have to do it three times In a row BUT only crank it after you turn the key off on the third time. So , ON 12 minutes then off, then ON 12 minutes then off , then ON 12 minutes then off and then try to crank. Hope this information helps. Let me know. Have a good night.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did this three times did not crank, tried it again and again still no crank. What is the passlock? Someone said they had a chevy that the security systems locked them out. They replaced there radio and it fixed the problem, I have seen some people talk about the base control module, and the ignition I don't want to just guess.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 2 years ago.
Passlock is part of the ignition switch. Ok so just to be sure. When you try to crank Does the light flash at you. If is different than the light just illuminating.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It will flash security/low fuel back and forth for the whole 12 min.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 2 years ago.
Ok that is normal then. Not a security issue. Test power at the starter solenoid when cranking. It may just be a simple failed starter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did that there is no power to the starter when you hit the key, I used a screw driver and jumped the starter and it works.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Check for power at the starter relay when cranking.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok will check and let you know. Thanks
Expert:  Lou P. replied 2 years ago.
Ok no problem. If you need any wiring info let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where is the starter relay, I found the crank relay but no starter relay
Expert:  Lou P. replied 2 years ago.

Ok let me check for you

Expert:  Lou P. replied 2 years ago.

It's labeled as CRK RLY in the engine bay fuse box.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I feel it clicking how should I check it
Expert:  Lou P. replied 2 years ago.
Ok easiest way is to switch it with a other relay the same style , if car does not start then relay is not the problem. But what numbers are on the bottom of the relay ? 1-2-3-4-5? Or 85-86-97-30?