Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

I have a 2004 chevy impala and it won't start, starter is

Customer Question

I have a 2004 chevy impala and it won't start, starter is good, everything turns on in the car except the radio. When you try to start it nothing happens the dash light comes on with security then flashes to low fuel and service soon.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry for the long wait

in the under hood top fuse box can you find the relay called CRANK and with your fingers on that relay when someone holds the key to crank do you feel that relay click every time the key is held to crank position ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The relay does click every time
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

can you see if the small purple wire at the starter solenoid shows 12 volts when the key is held to crank on the starter solenoid stud on the starter ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have no power there
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

can you pull out the relay and with the key OFF does one terminal the relay plugs into show 12 volts ? then when you turn the key ON will another terminals light up 12 volts ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is that the crank relay
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

yes

one terminal should show 12 volts then when the key is turned on another should also show 12 volts

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I will try that in the morning and will let you know
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

sounds good

if you feel the relay click the computer is telling the relay to work so we need to see which power is possibly missing

here is the electrical schematic if it will help you with a visual on the starting system

most of these have the missing 12 volts all the time with the key off which ends up just being a blown fusible link

Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

here is the location of some of the links

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks I will check this out and let you know
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.

ok let me know