Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

My 2002 Tahoe 5.3l will run at 207 then after about 14 miles

Customer Question
with a/c also on ,the...
My 2002 Tahoe 5.3l will run at 207 then after about 14 miles with a/c also on ,the temp willspike when you hot a hill or gas hard on it Iv changed the hoses and thermostat , any ideas please.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
8/6/2015
Chevy Mechanic: GM Bob, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
GM Bob
GM Bob, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is Bob.

Does it only do it with A/C on?

Have you tried to clean the outside of the radiator and A/C condenser fins? I have had luck just using a garden hose.

Do you have a scan tool? If so see if the temp sensor reading is the same as the gauge.

Please get back with me

Thank you

I have cleaned it changed the clutch fan also runs fine with a/c on but not if pulling my atv trailer , also spikes when accelerating up a incline then will drop to normal once I'm at the top ,I've changed all hoses and thermostat , Tahoe runs great no missing not losing water also changed radiator cap ,no water in oil no water out exhaust ,normally I can figure these things out myself but this has me stomped.
Did this happen after any repair's. Like body front end work.
Need to make sure all your radiator side or upper baffle and/or radiator air deflector are in place.
Do you have a scan tool?
No front end damage or work all air guards and it air deflectors are in place , I'm woundering if I should replace water pump itsnit leaking and I'm not losing any water from the reservoir tank or maybe a new radiator I'm really about to lose my temper on this you know.lol
Don't lose your temper just stay cool. :)
How many miles do you have on it?
Do you know for sure it is getting hot? Check it with a scan tool. See if the engine temp sensor is the same reading
Not just a bad temp gauge.
I have had temp gauges get to a point on the gauge and than jump to high.
If you think the gauge is working ok. I would pull the radiator and have it flow tested.
It's been a great Tahoe Got 275,000 I've been all over with thisStill doesn't use any oil I did let it sit for about 4 months without using itThen all the sudden this stuff happensTemple Run fine with temperature all day as long as its not load put on engineA couple minutes after you left off Going up the hill or you stop and idle the engine temp will drop back to normal or run on level ground with a/ c off .
Because it just happened. I would check the temp sensor with a scan tool.
Do you have a scan tool?
I just took it to the shop and said call me when it's done I'm through with it, thanks for the help though and yes I did scan it, it's accurate ,iv always done my own work on everything from my 68 camaro to my BMW I was hoping you knew a step or something that I might has missed but I think we have been on the same page the whole time ,it ran fine all day yesterday I didn't go up any hills or pull my atv trailer it's not until I do those two things that I have a temp problem .
GM Bob
GM Bob
GM Bob, ASE Certified Technician