Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I have a 12' Silverado and I jump started a motor After that

Customer Question

I have a 12' Silverado and I jump started a motor After that a message piped up saying check your battery system and it wouldn't charge and it died on me. Would the alternator be bad then
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.
HI,
While it is most likely the alternator, you need to check for secure connections to the battery as well as clean connections.
If ok, check the voltage at the battery with engine off. If under 9.5v, battery has bad cells and needs to be replaced.
If between 9.5v and 11v, charge the battery with a battery charger.
Anything under 12v, you need to start engine and check voltage at the battery with engine idling. If under 13.5v, replace the alternator.
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks