Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

I am trying to replace the broken rear door handle on a

Customer Question

I am trying to replace the broken rear door handle on a a2004 chevy tracker, but all of the videos to do so are when you can remove the inside door panel, but my door will not open. How do I get the door panel off, if the door is closed?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 2 years ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

there is no good or easy way to remove the panel with the door still shut,,if you have aaa or if your insurance covers it,[roadside service] have them to come and open the door...with out the door being open,you may need to damage the door panel to get it off,then install a new panel..

i will give you instructions

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dmtvt863ho85j2d/0804-tracker-Rear%20Side%20Door%20Outside%20Handle%20Replacement.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/dmtvt863ho85j2d/0804-tracker-Rear%20Side%20Door%20Outside%20Handle%20Replacement.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
First, How could AAA or any Road Side Assistance person get the door open? It is not like I locked the keys in the car! The door handle is broken, and the rod that would un-latch the door is not conected. I have seen several U2 videos that show me how to remove the door panel from the inside, when the door is open. What I need from you is the best recomendation to get to the inside latch. I have considered drilling a hole or holes in the broken plastic handle, and to remove it, and get to the latch. What do you think?

i like it...use a drill or any means to get rid of the old handle,,no need to worry about it,sense it is being replaced,,

after you bust out the handle,you may be able to use a cloth hanger or sothing to unlock the latch on the door,or may be able to get to it,,

i dont see a way to remove the panel without damage to it

thanks