Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

Chevrolet Impala: I have a 2011 Impala that I purchased used

Customer Question

I have a 2011 Impala that I purchased used a few months ago. It has 47,000 miles on it. Last night I was driving it when an Icon popped up. I believe it was and emission, then in the DIC I have messages Engine power reduced, service stabilitrak, and service traction control. I did not notice and reduction in power. I drove the vehicle straight home and now it is parked. I am not sure what to do next. I can not get it in to the dealership until the later park of next week they have no appointment available and I need my car. I have to drive back and forth to work 50 miles round trip plus have a very busy life style lots of different places to be. My question can I drive the car safely for the time being and will it cause any damage to the vehicle?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 2 years ago.
Hi, My Name is***** have over 20 years experience repairing vehicles. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resoloution. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same.The reduced engine power is almost always a bad throttle body. I would suspect a local shop could make this repair. If the vehicle is under warranty you may able to get reimbursed. If you have an extended warranty they will almost always allow for an independent shop to repair it. this will strand you though. I suggest immediate repairs.You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. A rating is required from you rating me. I am not an employee of this website. I do not have control over the fees, or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative, or not at all you still pay. I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your response. I still am concerned about being able to DRIVE the vehicle until I can get it in for repairs next week. You believe the reduced power to be the throttle body needing to be repaired. I also mentioned the DIC said to service stabilitrak and service traction control. Is this part of the throttle body or are we looking at additional repairs for these other mentioned services? Do you have an estimated repair cost and how long it will take for repairs? I drove the vehicle last night a short distance of about 20 miles round trip. I really had no option. I did not get on the hwy or go over 40 mph. The emission icon was still on but no message came up o DIC. My main concern right now is being able to drive the vehicle now with out doing major damage to vehicle. I did not notice any reduction in power when all this happened and I was driving on hwy. I understand the fact I need to use extra caution with possibility of losing power.
If you could please enlighten on what stabilitrack is and traction control and about driving vehicle? Thank you
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 2 years ago.
Like I said this is a common problem, sometimes it starts as an intermittent problem. the stabilitrac and traction control are monitoring the throttle body so it can make adjustments as needed resulting in the 3 codes. I personally do not recommend driving it not for fear of damaging something else on the car but because the failure will be instant. The car will only idle and can be dangerous.