Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

Chevrolet silverado k500 1/2: well since you asked

Customer Question

well since you asked
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have replaced egr valve and solenoid also
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Is the check engine light on? I would check the coolant temperature sensor or just replace it. If it's at fault and telling the computer that the engine coolant is actually colder then what it really is, the computer will compensate for that and make the engine run richer and also kick up the idle.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
If you want to test the sensor, here is the chart Coolant temperature sensor temperature vs. resistance values.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mike, I have replaced the coolant sensor on the block, new egr valve, new egr solenoid, new tps , new battery and air filter and cleaned throttle body. when I start the truck it seems to run perfect at 1000 rpm . but as soon as I put it into gear the idle goe to 200 and then sputter and die . my next step today is to replace the map sensor. the engine and tranny are both fairly new. I hope its the map sensor
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
There are 2 coolant sensors or switches on this engine. You changed the one that simply works the temperature warning light. I meant the coolant temperature sensor that is usually located right next to the thermostat housing, screwed into the intake manifold.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will replace that one also.......I had it in my hand and didnt buy it......dang it. Not sure what else I can do...
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
get back to me if that don't fix it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
getting frustrated
It didnt work......still idles perfect , but as soon as it goes into any gear it stumbles and dies....no service light
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok to sum up., no service light, new air filter ,egr valve and solenoid, TPS,Both coolant sensors and map sensor and cleaned throttle body. starts normal idles great at 1000rpm then as soon as it gets into gear it stubles and dies
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
engine and tranny are two years old....new cap and plugs and wires
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
I had a similar problem on my 1990 Chevy C2500 with a 5.7. I changed the coolant temperature sensor, the map sensor and even new fuel injectors, but it wasn't until I changed the prom chip in the ecm that the problem went away. You may want to try that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have a performance chip that I had installed years ago.....could that be it?, I guess I could just remove it. Or am I now looking at the entire ecm module?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
No, just the chip
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the performance chip from what i recall is stacked on top of the existing chip
do they sell just the prom already setup and programmed....ive seen the whole ecm on line ( remanu ) do you know a source to order just the prom?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Try removing just the performance chip for now. Then if its still acts up, at least check the numbers on the factory chip to make sure you have the correct one installed. Give me the numbers, I'll look it up.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
Give me the numbers off the ecm as well.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
I believe the ecm should be 16196395 and the prom type 27C512 and BHDF or BJDR
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
or BHRJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At work now will look when I get home....dissconnect battery remove performance chip reconnect battery and check , while removing chip ( with rubber gloves ) check ecm number......what a process
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.
ok