Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Chevrolet Equinox LS: Just replaced blower motor and blower

Customer Question
Just replaced blower motor and...
Just replaced blower motor and blower motor resistor in 2005 chevy equinox LS. there is still no air coming out of the vents
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/28/2015
Chevy Mechanic: George H., ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Hello I will help you with your question,
Is the blower motor running and no air comes out or is the blower motor not running?
Do you have a voltmeter to the check the circuit if I guide you?
The blower motor is not running, and I don't have a volt meter here unfortunately
OK, if you would like to get one I can help then. Should be low cost.
Has anything else cut out? If a fuse blew then it might supply other functions.
Let me know if you can get a meter to test and I can walk you through the circuit.
Thanks
I'll go get a meter now. all fuses are fine
Great, let me know when you are ready.
hello,
I got a volt meter
my car is in the parking lot though so Ill have to do this step by step
ill have to continue this tomorrow sorry.
Great, do you have 12 volts on the purple wire at the resistor? Key on blower on high?
Tomorrow is fine, I will be here so post back and I can help you get this running. Thank you]
Hello, I have the volt meter now. What setting should I have it on?
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Sorry I am unable to speak on the phone, Put the meter on 20 volts DC if it has that scale and measure the battery you should get 12.6 volts. Once you have that put one lead of the meter to ground (a clean metal part of the body or engine) and see if you have a changing voltage when you change the blower speed on the purple wire
I get the 12.6 volts on the battery but I have no voltage from the purple wire on any fan setting
Ok, then check the red/white wire at the blower motor, if you leave it plugged in and run a straight pin along the wire to make contact inside you can measure from ground to the red/white and to the purple. If you have 12 volts into the motor on the red/white but nothing on the purple replace the blower motor.
Let me know what you find
Thanks
I'm a little confused on the instructions, sorry. Do I plug in the blower motor? And what is a straight pin?
Yes, leave the blower plugged in when you make the measurement. You want to be able to make contact with the wire so you may need something to slide along the wire to touch the pin inside the connector. A straight pin (sewing or bulletin board) or a paperclip will work for this. Let me know what you find Thank you
I still am not getting anything. This is a brand new blower motor that I just installed too
OK, if you have no voltage to the motor check the 40 amp fuse in the underhood fuse block. It is the HVAC blower fuse. To be clear you have the black lead of the meter on a good clean ground? There is a grounding bolt behind the plastic in front of the door opening. Let me know if you measure 12 volts at the fuse socket Thank you
Ok I tried again with better ground. I got 10.6 volts
That is better, that is at the red/white wire? Does it continue on to the purple wire?
But I only get the 10.6 volts when fan switch is off. If it is in any other position I don't get any power
Put the blower speed on high. You are measuring at the red/white wire when you get the 10.6v?
With blower speed on high I get no power. I'm measuring at the Orange wire from the motor that connects with the red/white wire of the connector
What do you measure at the red/white wire?Was the orange wire from the new blower motor? I don't show any on the wiring diagram so I am assuming that the motor is aftermarket and had an orange wire?
The orange wire is from the new motor. I can't seem to access the red/white wire even with a straight pin
Why can't you get to the red/white wire? Is the wire spliced together?
I managed to access it. I got the same results: 10.6V with fan speed off, and 0V with the fan at any other speed
OK, now you know the motor is good. If you unplug the motor do you have 12 volts on the orange wire? Have you located the HVAC BLOWER 40 amp fuse and checked it's socket to see how much voltage is available at that point? If not do those two checks and let me know Thank you
All fuse sockets are at 12. The orange wire only wings out from the blower motor. It doesn't connect into the system, so it doesn't get power without being connected
The orange wire is not connected to the red/white wire? Is the other wire on the motor connected to the red/white wire?
Well the orange wire connects to the red/white wire but you said to test the orange wire after I unhooked the motor right?
Right, if the splice to the orange wire is good it should be the same as reading the red/white.
This is what I am trying to see, if you have 12 volts at the fuse and the fuse is good then you should have 12 volts at the motor connection. It is just a piece of wire between the two points. I need you to double check you have a good fuse and 12 volts there then pierce the insulation of the red/white wire and see what the voltage is. If you have 12 volts at the red/white wire but nothing to the orange then the splice is the problem.
Let me know if you can get the 12 volts from the fuse to the motor or if we need to be looking at the bottom of the fuse block for bad connections
Thanks
The fuse is good (12V), I'm getting 10.5V from the red/white wire and 10.5V from the orange wire
Ok, then the drop is between the fuse and the red/white wire. You are going to have to find the red/white wire where it leaves the fuse block and measure it at that point, if you still have low voltage then the fuse block will need to be replaced.
Do you want to move on to that?
It involves disconnecting the battery, pulling the fuse block and getting enough slack in the harness to slip a pin in the back along the red/white wire then reconnecting the battery as best you can long enough to check the voltage at the fuse and the pin in the back.
Let me know
Thank you
So there are 2 fuse boxes, one under the hood and one in the passenger footwell. Both places the fuses were good.
Would I be accessing the one in the footwell?
The underhood fuse block is where the large blower fuse is and that is where the red/white wire connects so it is the underhood block you would need access to the back of.
My database is running very slow right now, If you want to tackle this let me know and I will put together some instruction how to get it loose.
I don't think I'll be able to get to it today.
That is OK, if you want to do this then I will put together the procedure and pin locations so you can remove the fuse block and access the connector on the back, install a straight pin on the wire with a jumper wire to the meter and reinstall the fuse block so you can make the measurement.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26725849/block.pdf
Copy and paste that link into a new browser tab, I will update it with the pin location on the connector as soon as I am able so if it is not with it when you open the link try again later. It will get there as soon as I am able
Look this over and let me know what questions you have.
Thanks
Before you work on the fuse block find connector C200 in the kick panel to the front of the driver's door opening. Pin D6 is the red/white wire. See if that connection is burnt and if you have 12 volts on one side or the other of the connector. I included the location and connector view with the fuse block in the link above.
George H.
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician