Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Chevrolet Silverado 1500: My 2011 Chev Silverado a/c will almost

Customer Question

My 2011 Chev Silverado a/c will almost stop blowing and you can hear the air blowing under the dash primarily on the right side. I switched off the recirculate feature and eventually it started blowing out of the vents again. However, a little further down the road it the air began to slow down and almost quit. It was still cold and you could hear the air blowing under the dash again. I just bought the truck and so I am not familiar with it. Do you know what this might be?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
I am very sorry for the long waitis this an automatic or manual heater AC controller in this truck ?a duel zone system ?so the blower motor itself is still blowing good it is just a matter of the air slowing down from the vents ? will the air flow change to defrost or floor when this happens ?will the temp always stay cold ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is a manual system as this truck is the basic work truck package but with some power options. It is not a dual zone system. You can still hear the blower running as normal but you can hear the air stating to blow under the dash. When it happened this morning, I pressed the A/C button on the fan control dial to disengage the compressor and the air blew cold for several minutes. I was wondering if the core could be freezing up? The air is very cold when the a/c is on and I usually run the unit on recirculate. As far as I can tell, the air is not changing to defrost or floor. It just almost stops coming out of the vents but remains very cold.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
if it was freezing up the air flow would still be the same and just the temp would changewhat is more than likely happening is you have an issue with the mode actuator which that actuator controls the modes -vent floor and defrost is failing and loosing its memory and will slowly move and move the door so the air flow goes out of the floor or defrost vs the ventsif that seems like what is going on replacing the mode actuator should correct this issue you are having# ***** in this picture is the mode actuator and its located on the drivers side of the heat box