Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Chevrolet sierra/2wd: I would like to carry more weight in

Customer Question

I would like to carry more weight in my 1/2 ton chevy truck. Is it safe and possible to convert my 1/2 to to a 3/4 ton? I have asked many mechanics, shops this question, I'm getting conflicting answers. Thanks
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry for the long waitthe only way to be able to increase the weight capacity in this truck is to actually make the truck a 3/4 or 1 ton truck which would involve the complete rear diff and suspension and complete front suspension being installed in your truck from another 3/4 or 1 ton truck which the costs alone to do that would out weigh finding a used 3/4 to 1 ton truck complete and just use that used truck and sell your 1/2 ton truck nowthere is nothing quick you can do to handle the weight increase on the 1/2 tone truck without all of that changed on your truck as everything on the 3/4 to 1 ton trucks are heavier duty and can handle the weight increasei really would look into finding a used 3/4 to 1 ton truck and sell your 1/2 ton it will cost less and be a lot less amount of work and aggravation if you have any questions please ask