Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Chevrolet Suburban 1500: I have a 2005 Suburban. The rear

Customer Question
I have a 2005 Suburban...
I have a 2005 Suburban. The rear blower went out. The RR HVAC fuse is good as well as the IGN3 fuse. I tested the plug going into the blower and it has power, but the blower does not turn on. I have applied separate power to the blower and it does turn on. I've swapped blowers, resistor module, and even wire harness and nothing. What am I missing?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
7/27/2015
Chevy Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central. Thanks Chris
Thanks for responding. I still need help resolving this issue. Other than what I posted, I haven't tried anything else.
Can you feel me in a little more, these 2 comments do not make sense. I tested the plug going into the blower and it has power, but the blower does not turn on. I have applied separate power to the blower and it does turn on.If it already has power it should work without needing to remotely apply power?I am going to go ahead and get the wire diagram up, in the link below, which i will be using. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris
I used a voltmeter on the plug that goes into the blower and it reads over 12v coming from it. However, when I plug it in to the blower, nothing happens. I then connect the blower to a 12v power source and it turns on.I am a moderate skill level with understanding and fixing cars.
I have tried a new blower, and resistor control module and nothing changed. I used a new wire harness, and still nothing. I will note, that I have returned the replacement blower and control module, but still have the new wire harness connected.
If you back probe the blower connector while plugged in and commanded on, do you still get battery voltage to the blower?When you did your remote testing o nthe blower were you just giving it power or both power and ground?
I will try the back probe when I get home in a bit. I was giving it power and ground when I tested it.
Thanks, ***** ***** case it appears the blower is not getting a ground. If you just apply ground, by pushing a wire into the back of the connector so it contacts the pin, does the blower then work?
Ok. So now the voltmeter is not reading anything on The plug unless I ground on to something else.
The blower does not work when I apply ground
So the blower is not getting power from the truck. Short or long wheel base and auto or manual HVAC.
That's what it appears. It is the suburban so I assume long wheel base. I believe it is auto, since it has an auto setting on the switch
At the blower motor processor is it getting power on the orange wire and ground on the black wire, can you ohm test the signal purple wire back the auxiliary HVAC to see if the wire is broken.
It's getting power on the orange wire. The purple wire is good as well. This is the new wire harness, so I can't imagine anything wrong with that. I will tell you that the plug going into the blower motor isn't staying as steady on the voltmeter any more
That only leaves the auxiliary HVAC module to blame after all of these tests.
I'll order that and let you know if it works. Thanks!
Your welcome
I put in the HVAC module, and it's still not working. Any other suggestions?
Sorry I am out of suggestions, you have replaced every part used to get power to the blower and you have done every test from GM for no blower operation. Would you like to try another tech?
If another tech might have any other suggestions, sure.
Opting out now.
Chevy Mechanic: Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Hi, My Name is***** have over 20 years experience repairing vehicles. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resoloution. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same.I see that Chris made some great suggestions. After reviewing the conversation I am stuck wondering what you are using for testing? Meter, test light? My suggestion would be to go to parts store and get an old sealed beam headlight. Hook 2 wires to it test at batter and make sure it works. and test for power and ground using the headlight as your test light. I suspect you will discover that you have a bad ground or a bad power wire. It will turn on a meter but wont work under a load.
I have been using a bolt meter. I have had an issue that when I am testing the plug that goes into the blower, I sometimes won't get a reading unless I use something else as ground besides the black wire on the plug
I would try running a separate ground to the blower motor housing. see what happens.
I ended up finding the problem. There was a loose connection in the wire harness located under the kick plate by the emergency brake.
Tool Hut
Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician