Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS: . I have a 2004 Chev Silverado

Customer Question
Hi. I have a...
Hi. I have a 2004 Chev Silverado LS crew cab with a 5.3 liter engine with AC issue. Cools, compressor seems to be kicking on and off, but little to no air coming out of vents even through all air settings. I hear noise in blower motor area but weak air at best. Not sure if I have a cabin air filter to change; will check vacuum lines in morning. Suggestions?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
7/26/2015
Chevy Mechanic: BOBBYSS, Master Technician replied 2 years ago
BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. If you can hear the blower motor changing speeds as you try changing the air flow then I would suspect the cabin air filter. This is located under the dash on the passenger side behind the glove box. You will see a small bolt, typically with a gold head, that holds together a thin strip of plastic. Remove this and you will see the filter. This clog over time and will restrict air. I would simply remove it and see if it helps. If not then it may be a blend door issue, but that is not as common.
Bobby; I removed the kick cover of the AC on the passenger side to reveal the wires, etc. This model does not appear to have a cabin air filter. I did check the wires and noted one in particular that appeared to have been pretty hot at one point. Jiggled them around and made sure connections appeared okay. Cranked up and air began blowing full force and cold. After about one minute or two, the air stopped blowing again. I inspected the wiring and noted the blue wire connection with the off-white (or tan, can't tell) wire coming from the fire wall area was very hot to touch and the joint, which may be an in-line fuse but I'm not sure, has been so hot before that small melted metal dots are on either side of the joint. I have put the pic that I took in a word document and attached it. I know my blower motor is okay, and it appears the compressor and coolant levels are okay.I'm a female who's father insisted I learn about auto repair. I can do a considerable amount of work on my own and understand much more than many ladies who would rather not work on cars. However, my history with air conditioners is pretty limited so knowing exactly what each element and part does is not in my background knowledge. My overall understanding is okay, though. This looks like an inline fuse, but I haven't tried to take it apart; wanted your input before I end up breaking something forcing it apart. Even if it is a fuse, I don't know that changing it out will resolve the problem or simply mask it until the replacement fails.What is your suggestion at this point? Thanks for your review. I look forward to your response. Sherri
Thanks for the great picture. This wiring does not appear to be factory. It looks like someone spliced into the factory unit and that may be the problem. Does the blower motor come on when you move the wires at the blower or at the part in the picture?
BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician