Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

Chevrolet El Camino: I'm trying to bleed my brakes. New master

Customer Question

I'm trying to bleed my brakes. New master (bench bled) tried back bleeding from the cylinders to the master nothing pedal goes to floor
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry for the long waitwhen bleeding no fluid to the rear wheel cylinders but good fluid to the front calipers ?
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
what usually happens when you have no fluid to the rear but to both front calipers is the pressure diff valve in the brake proportion valve is stuck to the closed position not allowing fluid to go through the bake brake fluid linewhat has to be done is try to unstick it which takes some patients but usually can be doneyou need to loosen the mater cylinder line into the prop valve and with it loose have someone step down and hold the brake pedal down while the pedal is being held down tighten that line then once tightened continue tapping on the prop valve while they let off the brake pedal so between the tapping and the fluid being sucked backwards through the prop valve it should unstick usually you will hear a click of it clicking back to where it belongskeep doing that until you hear the click or all of the sudden get fluid to the back brakeslike i said it takes some patients but usually 5 to 7 times seems to be the range of it clicking back into place
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have plenty of fluid front and rear the combo valve is centered
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
so there is no fluid coming out of the rear wheel cylinder bleeders ? and good fluid coming out of the combo valve port ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
lets start over this is a 1960 chevy el camino I split the system and installed a late model dual master cylinder, combo valve. I have plenty of fluid at the master, the combo valve and the cylinders. Fluid is not the problem. I bench bleed the master and tried bleeding with the pedal, that didnt work so then I back bled from the wheel cylinders to the master plenty of fluid flowing but the pedal still goes to the floor, even if I pump the pedal
Expert:  Roy replied 2 years ago.
good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist
lets try something. get some line pliers and clamp off the 2 front brake hoses and the one rear. with that done see if you have a pedal. if you do, then there is an issue at one of the wheels. release the pliers one by one until you loose the pedal and then you will know where the problem is located.
if the pedal is still no good with the pliers attached, you either still have air in the line or your new master cylinder is defective.
Roy
Expert:  Roy replied 2 years ago.
how are you making out??
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No better same problem
Expert:  Roy replied 2 years ago.
what did you do for the testing I requested???
Roy