Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

2004 Chevy express full size van 6.0 engine. Car started

Customer Question
running very rough, limped to...
2004 Chevy express full size van 6.0 engine. Car started running very rough, limped to my destination and died. Will not restart. Due 23 under hood is dead and pops after a new fuse is inserted and key is turned on. MIL is on and a scanner shows codes
P0200, P0102 and P0443. Same thing happened a couple weeks ago and the dealer swore it was fixed. The codes are different this time though.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
7/25/2015
Chevy Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic replied 2 years ago
Tim's Auto Repair
Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.I will do my best to assist you.sense you do blow fuse 23,,i would think you may have a nad wire harness or a bad fuelinjector,thus pulling too many amps causing the fuse to popPLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX].https://www.dropbox.com/s/r5bac5w86d3zenm/0724-chevy-van-P0102.doc?dl=0.if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this waythanks.www.dropbox.com/s/r5bac5w86d3zenm/0724-chevy-van-P0102.doc?dl=0. If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help
A 15 page document with dozens of steps is not that helpful. I am not a professional mechanic and many of the steps require the car to be running. How do I test the injectors, how do I test for a dead short?
please stand by,,one of the other guys maybe able to help you bettersomeone will be right with youthanks
Thank you.
Chevy Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician replied 2 years ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Fuse 23 feeds a pink wire, and this pink wire splices off and feeds a number of components: Ignition coils 1, 3, 5, and 7 (driver's side of vehicle).Park neutral switch on the side of the transmissionEVAP purge solenoidMAF sensor (located near the air filter)Fuel injectors 1, 3, 5, and 7. It's possible that one of these devices is shorted. However, it's not likely. It's much more likely that this pink wire is touching ground somewhere. Unfortunately, what that diagnosis requires is simply putting your hands and eyes on this harness (that's why I pointed out all the things it goes to, so you can follow the harness to those devices), and trying to find where the wire might be chafed and touching ground. It's usually just a tiny little shiny spot that is sufficient to blow a fuse, and careful visual inspection is the way to find it. Make note of where the wires break out of the harness and go near metal objects, that's usually where you'll find your culprit.
So, interesting thing. I unplugged and replugged the connector to the transmission and replaced the fuse and it started right up. I'm thinking of replacing the park neutral switch just in case. I have traced most of the harness and cannot find a dead short.
FYI: this has happened twice. Once when taking a hard left and yesterday taking a hard right. So I assume there is a short. Now to find it. :(
The park/neutral switch is on the outside of the transmission, not internal (that is, the harness connector doesn't go to the park/neutral switch). I think it's just coincidence, and that this problem will crop back up for you.
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician