GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Chevrolet chevy express 3500: I was reading about 99 chevy

Customer Question

I was reading about 99 chevy express 3500 getting fuel but not starting I am having the exact same issue with my 99 also everything is to the tee but the conversation stopped ....did u ever figure out what it was?
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That's all ivegot
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 2 years ago.
Do you have a scan tool that can read live data?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No
OK. We can work around that, probably. How do you know it's getting fuel?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It comes out fuel rail
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Plus I can smell it flooding
OK. This engine needs 55psi to start, the fact that there is fuel present at the fuel rail doesn't mean it has enough pressure. If you smell fuel, however, perhaps we can assume that you have fuel delivery. How about spark, have you tested for spark yet?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I shut it off after cranking ...it kinda tries to too start ...turns over then stops and yes I have spark
Where are you testing for spark, at the coil wire or at the spark plug?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
End of plug wires
OK. If it tries to start after you release the key, typically this means there is some weakness in the ignition system. I don't know how the spark looks where you're testing it, but it should be fat and blue, not weak and orange. Distributor caps and rotors are particularly troublesome on these, you get a crack in either of those items and you can lose the spark intensity. Again, you'll just have to gauge this for yourself, replace if you feel it's necessary. If you think it's flooded, have you tried holding the gas pedal to the floor and cranking it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's got strong heft blue spark and yes I've tried pushing to floor but what's crazy is I may go out 2 days from now and it will start right up then run for a week everyday then just like that it starts doing this again
OK. You're going to have to check the fuel pressure with a gauge, because the pressure is critical. We just have to "know" what the fuel pressure is. You can borrow a fuel pressure gauge from Autozone, Advance, etc at no charge, and it's important. I don't want you to gloss past it because it's probably the number one reason for a 99 van that won't start. If it has spark, then the crank sensor, etc. is working the way it should.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I'll try and c
Let me know what you find out, and we can continue from there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok
.