Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

Chevrolet Impala LS: bob, my 07 chevy impala 3.5L has a

Customer Question

hi bob, my 07 chevy impala 3.5L has a loud high pitch whining sound coming from the engine when first started. lasts about 30 secs and then stops. what do you think it is?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
I would say it's the belt. Stop by an auto-parts store and pickup a can of belt dressing and follow the instructions on the can and condition the belt and listen if the squealing goes away or at least changes so you know you are on the right track. It may even go away for good.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not a belt... A very high rpm when starting and then slows and stops after 30 secs
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
A higher rpm that what the engine is at? What would you assume the rpm would be?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Look if u knew this issue u would not be asking these simple questions. Obviously u do not know this particular issue with my car.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
No, I cannot hear it.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
I found a tsb mentioning, "Engine Squealing Type Noise on Start-up."
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
The outer ring on the crankshaft balancer may be slipping on the center hub.Inspect the crankshaft balancer to see if the outer ring is slipping on the center hub. If this condition is found, replace the crankshaft balancer.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
Did that help?