Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Chevy carlo carlo: cannot get compressor to kick

Customer Question
cannot get compressor to kick...
cannot get compressor to kick in, replaced about everything
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
7/23/2015
Chevy Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central. Thanks Chris
I have changed compressors because my car has a lot of mileage on it, put 2 cans of Freon in it and it want come on. I can jump it and it will work. on my high pressure line I have no pressure. my switch is a 3 wire and can't find any information about it. I know i'm suppose to have pressure before the switch will work.
at the 3 wire plug in, all I get is 5 volts on one wire and nothing on the other 2 and that is when the car is running. i'm still waiting.
Look over the tests below and let me know if you can complete these tests. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris
you got this wrote for a hi tec mechanic, i'm just a shade tree mechanic
Thanks for letting me know your skill level, we still have to work through the tests, so I will just go through them one by one till all 38 are done. Step 4, remotely power and ground the compressor, while its running what pressures do you get on the high and low side?
got 30 lbs on both sides
the clutch is not kicked in
Since the clutch was not engaged during this test even when its being remotely powered and grounded, this means the clutch coil is bad or the clutch air gap is excessive.
this is a new compressor with clutch and the old one acted the same way, I can take a paper clip and get it to work, there is not enough voltage at it to make it kick in
I assume your using the paper clip in the relay pins to jump it and this is when you notice not enough voltage to engage the compressor clutch. If that is the case that means the AC clutch fuse is making poor contact or there is a internal circuit board issue in the Fuse box. When jumping the relay to force power to the clutch, you should get battery voltage on this jumper and at the compressor.
have not messed with it today, my wife has liver problems and i'm slow too at times
Keep in touch if needed. The wife is more important than the car.
the car is not fixed so I cannot give a rating,
Just a heads up the post will time out and close in 7 days from the time you asked your question so on the 29th. Best of luck and thanks for letting me try to help and earn a rating before the post timed out.
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician