Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

Chevrolet Blazer: - I have a 2000 chevy Blazer. Having

Customer Question

Hello - I have a 2000 chevy Blazer. Having trouble with the***** Started about a month ago - randomly pops into 4hi just after starting, usually when reversing out of parking spot. the service*****light goes on, but goes off when I switch it back to***** Now it is stuck in 4WD - not sure if it is in HI or LO. No lights show, and service 4 wheel light is off - it does not even illuminate as it did before when I start the car! Any ideas?!
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
PS - I checked the fuses (Instrument Panel Fuse box #15 4WD and also Engine Compartment Fuse Block ATC), both are fine....
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 2 years ago.
This problem usually comes from a faulty encoder motor. There is a mechanical lock inside this motor that is supposed to keep it from moving unless commanded. If this lock fails, the encoder can move inadvertently and go into 4WD. The transfer case control module notices this and sets a code, and may or may not disable shifts from there. I'd say you need a new encoder motor, which is the large motor on the transfer case that actually performs the shift.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there any way to disable the 4WD and get it into 2WD so I can drive it to a mechanic? I live in a pretty rural area... Or disable it permanently? I really don't need 4WD and have never used it...
You can remove the encoder and shift the transfer case manually, and just leave the encoder off and unplugged. You'll have a Service 4WD light on, but the truck will be driveable indefinitely like that, in 2WD. I don't recall which way you have to turn the shaft to reach 2WD, but there are only a couple of different places it will stop, it's not hard to figure out once you have it apart and see what's going on.