Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Total redo on my 95 tahoe 5.7 a/c except evap. flushed

total redo on my 95...
total redo on my 95 tahoe 5.7 a/c except for the evap. flushed it till it ran clean. i can't fine any info on how much pag 150 dec oil goes where and when. i do know that the entire system holds 8oz. and that's it.
7/17/2015
Chevy Mechanic: Jan Andersson, ASE Master Tech replied 7 years ago
Jan Andersson
Jan Andersson, ASE Master Tech
Each main component holds about 1oz of residual oil: Condenser, evaporator, accumulator. So there's about 3oz. Hoses, if long, may hold an ounce. Note if you have rear AC it too holds oil in the evaporator. The REST goes in the compressor. You can probably put 2oz in the accumulator if its hard to get rid of 8oz in the bottle. I like to add the last few ounces after I have run the compressor a little with a full charge. I don't want to choke the compressor with too much oil when it first has to start. Turn the clutch by hand a few full turns after you have poured oil in. It might spit some out, go slow. Because the system has been wide open and flushed, I would do the evac and vacuum and recharge a couple of times, run it a little in between. Thats easy if you have a recycling machine. Each time you vacuum it, more unwanted stuff can come out, and you can put more oil in under vacuum. You could also add oil with a manual injector gun, even after the system is charged, no machine needed. Or if you are using recharge cans, use one that has oil in it. Try to get close to the 8oz target.
let me restate....Everything is new except the evaporator. Now again, where do I put my new oil and when.? Oil came in the new compressor with instructions to drain it, but no info on how much to put back in. They called it testing oil that should be drained.
There is no residual oil in this system to consider!
I know the system is empty, I'm saying the system NORMALLY holds one ounce of residual oil in every main component, so you should PUT one ounce in every main component now, knowing that they are empty. And the rest of the 8oz directly into the compressor before you attach the lines to it.Splitting it like this is because its often hard to get the compressor to take all 8 ounces. And you wouldn't want to overfill it with oil, there is a small risk of locking it up when its time to start it for the first time. Hence my recommendation to spin it by hand to make sure it turns. it will be tight to turn, not spin freely. See how it spins before you put oil in it, to get an idea of "normal" resistance.Much of the oil is in constant circulation, it does not stay inside the compressor. It gets mixed up with refrigerant and travels throughout the system.
I have read so many different amounts about this on the net. I know everything you have written already. How does this sound to you.....3 1/2 oz. in the accumulator.....3 oz. in the compressor .....1 oz. in the condenser and the remainder on the new o-rings. If there is any left over, share it in the new lines. ???This is dec oil and I don't have to worry about how long the system stays open.
Now I'm not sure what your question is...What you just wrote will also work, the accumulator is big, and can easily hold 3oz. It is not critical how you split it, as long as there is enough in the compressor for the first few minutes of running. Not surprised everyone has their own recipe. Whether it's 3 or 4 ounces in the compressor, makes little difference. It will be hard to get "too much" to go in there without a fight. See how close to 3oz you can get, then turn it by hand, and it will take some more. Turn some more, repeat, and what you get bored of this excercise, put the remaining oil in the other components.
It's an Harrison R4 compressor and I have found nowhere what the new start out quanity of oil should be. You don't know it either. I'll go with 3 oz.. I'll pull my vac and charge and see what happens. I've worked on ac a lot but I've never started out with no oil from the beginning. Mfg. says check your manual. If it was there I wouldn't be spending 18 bucks to text with you. Have a nice night.
As I said it is not critical. There is no accurate number for the compressor fill capacity. This is what the manufacturer has published, but note how inaccurate the "drain and measure" method is. Often you get NO oil draining from the old compressor. Yet most instructions say to put back as much as came out. I wouldn't install a compressor dry. I think you are looking for an answer that does not exist, worrying about something that doesn't need to be worried about. Total volume of oil is what counts, and even THAT is not critically accurate.
hope this answers your question adequately, there is no more accurate answer, this is what the manufacturer says.
Jan Andersson
Jan Andersson, ASE Master Tech